Help w Lens Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Help w Lens Adapter

Hello all

Like many of you who want aperture control I went and bought 2 used Nikon lenses

Nikkor-S Auto 50mm 1.4
Nikkor-NC Auto 24mm 2.8

and the adapter rings from KAWA
#300288998940 (Adapter For Nikon Lens to Canon EOS body)

The adapter works connecting the lenses to the 5D body but it blocks the mirror from flipping up

Did I get the wrong adapter ??

Any help appreciated

Best
Jay
Jay Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

that seems odd, as my 50 1.4 Nikkor is fine with some other brand adapter.
Gary Szunyogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #3
New Boot

Gary

Can you tell me the brand of adapter you use

Jay
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I have the 50mm f/1.4 and use the FotoDiox adapter ($80.00 flavour) with no problems.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #5
New Boot

Matthew

Thanks for the info

Was hoping for something cheaper

Best
Jay
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Major Player

I have a nikkor-s 50/1.4 that works fine on my 5dmk2 but maybe its a different lens? Also I am using a cheap ebay adapter (the cheapest, thought id give it a try) that isnt very good otherwise, ive tried it on two nikon lenses and both are loose and wiggle just a bit when mounted.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The adaptor is not the problem if the lens is blocking the mirror... its the extention of
the rear of the lens projecting too far into the body of the camera... I would not be using
those lenses on that body.. you should get a different lens before you break the mirror.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It could either be your choice of lens and/or the adapter. While I use Zeiss lenses with my 5DMkII, (which have their own issues), I understand that most people who use Nikon lenses on a 5D or 5DMkII normally use the older AI or AIS manual focus lenses. (There is a new adapter from 16:9 ... but it is designed primarily for use with the Nikon 14-24 ultra wide zoom with the G mount.) I use the Cameraquest adapter with my Zeiss lenses. It is one of the more expensive adapters, but in doing the research I discovered that it had the fewest problems. (They make a Nikon F to EOS adapter as well.) You might want to try a different adapter and see if that does the trick. The other adapter that comes to mind is the Fotodiox. It is a little cheaper than the Cameraquest.
Bill Sepaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Major Player

NC and probably S lenses are older than AI etc lenses so I imagine those having levers too long sticking out of the back?
If so it leads to cutting off those levers but retaining the aperture functions etc, if it works at all.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #10
New Boot

Adapter oriented properly?

I have a couple KAWA adapters and they work fine with my Nikon 50 f1.4 and a 35-105. Although I haven't tried to mount the adapter backwards, it seems that if it is mounted backwards, it might block the mirror. Unfortunately, there are no instructions with the KAWA.
Ralph Waylonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I think the problem is that the lens is an "S Auto", rather than an AI or AIS manual.
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Check out the cameraquest site.... there are lenses identified on the site that are not to be used with the Canon 5D bodies....

Adapters: Leica R or Nikon F to EOS*
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #13
Major Player

I have purchased from 4 different people on ebay... 2 from USA, 1 from china, and 1 from hong kong.

I got 4 adapters from a seller called KAWA in USA and the adapters were made really well and fit tight on the lenses. The price was ok, but the shipping was rediculous!!!

The other adapter I got from the USA was not that great, it fit kind of loose on my lenses and the spring locking pin didn't seem that well built.

The Adapter I got from Hong Kong was the exact same adapter as the above mentioned, loose... but this one was cheaper.

The adapters I got from China were the exact same as the KAWA adapters, but way cheaper (especially the shipping)! They will combine shipping if you request it. I ordered the adapters on January 19th and they arrived yesterday. for 8 adapters plus shipping, I paid $106.84 which included the $2 insurance. basically i say way cheaper, but I saved $22 opposed to the KAWA seller. eBay My World - jiakgong

Just thought I would share my experience.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #14
New Boot

Thanks to you all for your responses

But I still dont know the answer to my question - is there an adapter that will work w the 2 lenses I have

Ray
I checked out that site but didnt see any list of incompatible lenses

Continuing to find an adapter workaround for a lens workaround
Which is more than ironic considering how many Canon lenses I own

Best
Jay
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Connor View Post
Thanks to you all for your responses

But I still dont know the answer to my question - is there an adapter that will work w the 2 lenses I have
Welcome to the world of alternative lenses. Often-times, "... you pays your money and you takes your chances ..." Here is some helpful reading ... hopefully you will find a definitive answer to your question:

Medium Format Photography Megasite
Third Party Lenses Resource Megasite Home Page
Manual lenses with EOS cameras
Manual Focus Lenses :: Index
Manual Focus Forum / Manual Lens: Usage
Alternative Gear & Lenses - FM Forums

Last edited by Bill Sepaniak; February 7th, 2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Found another link.
Bill Sepaniak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD