Help w Lens Adapter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #16
Major Player

There's nothing wrong with your adapter. THe technology of these are very simple, just machining and the Kawas are well machined and snug fitting (and forget about the ridiculous shipping comment...that's how they make a little profit - it's simply a $15 adapter, and a fraction of the competition)

So, the 50mm 1.4 has been rumored to have a mirror issue, but because this all relatively new and there isn't enough consensus and because I wasn't about to ruin a new 5DII with a $200 lens, I grabbed a file and took precautionary measures.

If you look at one of the metal tabs on the 50mm 1.4 compared to a number of other Nikon primes, there is, in fact, an additional level to the mount where this tab protrudes beyond the mount (it would be the same with any adapter).

I covered the back glass with a cloth and used a pair of snips to clip it and then quickly filed it smooth (I'm no machinist so you know it''s easy) and in maybe 5 minutes it was all set to go.

I actually tried one of the AF confirm chips for a few bucks more on this and it works great for still work. The autofocus point lights up and you get the audible beep when you attain focus...very important wide open with a 1.4 lens.

Crazy world - a few dollars worth of adapters and Nikons now rule for Canons.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Connor View Post
Hello all

Like many of you who want aperture control I went and bought 2 used Nikon lenses

Nikkor-S Auto 50mm 1.4
Nikkor-NC Auto 24mm 2.8

and the adapter rings from KAWA
#300288998940 (Adapter For Nikon Lens to Canon EOS body)

The adapter works connecting the lenses to the 5D body but it blocks the mirror from flipping up

Did I get the wrong adapter ??

Any help appreciated

Best
Jay
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I know if my mirror is being blocked?

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Lens adapter and mirror question

Again I ask, how do I know if my mirror is operating properly with the nikon lens and adapter on it. Seems to be working ok, so would this be something I could tell if it wasn't?

Bruce Cleveland
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #19
Inner Circle

If the mirror were blocked, you wouldn't be able to snap a normal picture, or enter Live View. In each of those cases, the mirror must move to reveal the sensor.

In an SLR, the mirror reflects (the "reflex" part of "single lens reflex") the image from the lens to the optical viewfinder. It must move to expose the film or sensor.

Many older cameras had dual lenses - one for the film, and the other for the viewfinder. Certainly, an expensive solution!
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Jon that's what I thought.

Bruce
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #21
New Boot

Jim

Thanks for the info

I looked at one of the Nikon lenses and in fact there was a tab that protruded beyond the adapter.

Hoping to attach an image showing the tab

Will chop it off and see if it works

Best
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Help w Lens Adapter-nikkor-nc-24mm-2.jpg  
Jay Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Jay, how did it work out chopping of the flange.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD