Pay to Play - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Youngman View Post
Don't give the bean counters any ideas.

This is simple stuff that they can probably modify in 30 minutes, then re-compile. But, as one person pointed out on another thread, he'll never buy another Canon lens if they don't make these changes, and that's a lot more than a couple hundred dollars to Canon. Of course, I already have $10K in Canon lenses and don't really feel like buying Nikon primes.

-S
By the way, that was me who said that. They're not mutually exclusive concepts.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM   #17
Major Player

Judging the difficulty in say, cineform (or any software hard/software company)trying to get what seems to be simple piece of software to work correctly 100% of the time or, even me trying to keep my all four of my WinXP machines running (yesterday I had to use a hex editor to change hexadecimal code to get my hard drive to show up in a fresh XP install!?!?! No wonder my parents hate computers) I’d say that it’s a wee bit more difficult than we think!!

m
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Regular Crew

$300

Considering how quickly Canon fixed the firmware for the banding/black dot issue it seems unlikely that they are even considering an aperture fix in a free firmware update. Canon fixed the banding/black dot issue because there was an issue with the proper functioning of the camera, but I am guessing that they don't see aperture/shutter/iso control as an embarrassing problem they need to fix. If Canon offered a firmware upgrade that cost $300 for those that wanted to pay for added functionality it might make sense for them. I have no idea how many units have been sold, but if 1000 people bought the update that would be $300,000 for what seems like a simple firmware fix.
Daniel Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
If Canon offered a firmware upgrade that cost $300 for those that wanted to pay for added functionality it might make sense for them.
It might also make sense if/when sales slow and inventory starts to stack up, which could very well happen in this economy. News of a firmware upgrade would generate a lot of press and stimulate sales. If they still have a backlog of orders, there's not as much motivation to act - yet.

That said, I have no interest in Canon glass these days. Give me the update, and I will only shop for EF glass, since I'd get not only great video glass, but full photo compatibility. It's as simple as that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD