Zacuto DSLR Rig - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 26th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #46
Major Player

Nigel,

Better get one of these then Google Translate

Just kidding!

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Nigel:

If you can wait until around June 22, let's meet up and go shooting and you can try out the Z-Finder for yourself.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #48
Inner Circle

I dunno. I would be worried that I really liked the Z-finder & then be frustrated that I needed to wait another 6 weeks before I could buy a V2:-)

Seriously, it is a great idea to meet up. We will have the manual aperture firmware upgrade by then so you can really enjoy using my 'L' lenses & perhaps even 'enjoy' using my Hoodloupe.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #49
Major Player

We are working on an alternative to the Z-Finder V2 ;)... in stock in 4 weeks. Stay tuned.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #50
Major Player

Just as an aside. I got my icuff this morning and it instantly makes using the hoodloup much easier.
OK so it still doesn't magnify and is still a little too dark, but so much easier.

Just thought I'd mentio

Avey

Last edited by Wayne Avanson; May 28th, 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #51
Inner Circle

The main problem I find with the Hoodloupe is that your eye needs to be exactly centered to get good results. Any offset, and the image smears terribly. I'd love to get an eye cup that helps me center from the get go. Fortunately, once you learn this about the Hoodloupe, it's not hard to recognize the offset problem and to adjust. Then again, it's yet one more thing to divert the operator's attention.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Thanks a lot for the update! Definately a good reference for me to put my $. I have also been deliberating over the redrock micro kit. Do u find the kit a little high up for shooting? I only require 5-8sec shots for rack focusing normally. I simulated a redrock rig and found that my arms will get tired pretty quickly compared to something like the Zacuto sharpshooter rig. I like the solution below but I am thinking of making do without the loupe sometimes.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/cartpics...20_0271_lg.jpg

I saw the rig photos from Glenn Elliot and I think he is right about having the handles at a position that is slightly higher than waist instead of chest level. I like to listen to your feedback on the comfort of using the redrock micro shoulder kit without the z finder. Thanks again!

Could you make a comment on this as well?
Hi Sean, I'm finding the Red Rock quite comfortable as I kind of tuck my elbows against my body and that helps support the weight. I did place an order for some extra rods that I could I could experiment with as longer handles (but I think it's good to have your hands higher so they are close to your focus controls, exposure lock and exposure compensation, etc...) The Zacuto looks really solid as well, I don't think you can go wrong with either setup.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The main problem I find with the Hoodloupe is that your eye needs to be exactly centered to get good results. Any offset, and the image smears terribly. I'd love to get an eye cup that helps me center from the get go. Fortunately, once you learn this about the Hoodloupe, it's not hard to recognize the offset problem and to adjust. Then again, it's yet one more thing to divert the operator's attention.
I mounted a eyecup from the Sony PD-170.. it works great..

the part number is 3-087-515-01
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #54
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
I mounted a eyecup from the Sony PD-170.. it works great..

the part number is 3-087-515-01
I did a quick search & that would cost me just under $100 including shipping.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #55
Inner Circle

While the Z-Finder isn't cheap, to me, being able to comfortably and accurately focus and see the LCD clearly in bright daylight makes it totally worth the cost. For those of you on the fence or not happy with the Hoodman, go for the Z-Finder (V2) when they become available, you will find that it makes having the 5D MKII a much better experience overall.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #56
Major Player

Nigel,
I find with the iCuff, I can move it around a little as I press my eye to it (it is a kind of stiffish material) and it makes it easier to get that central position on the Hoodloup. That AND it's comfortable and blocks out the light.

Dan,

i think I'd like to get a ZFinder sometime in the future and enjoy the 5D2 experience more. For now though, I'll have to stick with the Hoodloup and I'll wait to see more reviews from the good people here.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD