Tiny follow-focus, rails & grip-cage from Redrock... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Tiny follow-focus, rails & grip-cage from Redrock...

Apparently this little nugget will be unveiled by Redrock at the imminent NAB show:

http://prolost.com/storage/post-imag...ing_01_600.jpg

-- peer
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't see how such a rig is useful for stability... You're still holding the camera out with your arms perpendicular to your torso so it would still be shaky..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
I don't see how such a rig is useful for stability... You're still holding the camera out with your arms perpendicular to your torso so it would still be shaky..
Yea, I agree -- but at least I see this as a step closer to my final setup, which includes my good'ol steadycam: VariZoom | VZ-UltraLite Hand-Held Stabilizer | VZ-ULTRALITE

-- peer
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It looks pretty sweet, though it really needs a shoulder brace for added stability.

I've been handcrafting a hybrid between a shoulder/2-handle unit and a SteadyTracker. I find that two handles and shoulder are more stable than the tube and high-polar-momentum weights. That said, the shoulder unit is limited to mostly flat angles, and you can't change focus when holding two handles; hence, my hybrid. You hold a SteadyTracker with one hand, so the other is free to operate the lens without losing balance.

Anyway, using the left hand for both support and focus is really sweet. Add a simple shoulder stock, and this RedRock unit could be a nice unit.
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Jon: I'll be receiving my MultiRigPro this afternoon.. from what I understand.. the weight of the 5D2+lens is not enough to offset the balance of the shoulder rig so I should be able to lift my left hand and focus with it.. We'll see!
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Jon: I'll be receiving my MultiRigPro this afternoon.. from what I understand.. the weight of the 5D2+lens is not enough to offset the balance of the shoulder rig so I should be able to lift my left hand and focus with it.. We'll see!
On my home built rig with the camera on top and a bit of weight below, it definitely wants to sag left when I hold only the right handle. Maybe with a hoodloupe, I'd be able to get back to a three point support, using my cheek.

What I'm finding is that I can cut and connect things to whatever dimensions I want. The problems are adjustability, and setup time. My rig is the opposite of tool-less!
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Trustee

Kind of like putting a big spoiler and fart-pipe on a Honda Civic.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hoodman Pro Loupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
On my home built rig with the camera on top and a bit of weight below, it definitely wants to sag left when I hold only the right handle. Maybe with a hoodloupe, I'd be able to get back to a three point support, using my cheek.

What I'm finding is that I can cut and connect things to whatever dimensions I want. The problems are adjustability, and setup time. My rig is the opposite of tool-less!
Jon, This is fairly basic, but it works. Daisy chain 6 rubber bands (2 bands per loop,-- fail safe) Loop the start and finish bands over Hoodman eyepiece neck. Stretch the total band around camera body, East to West. Done.

This is very quick to fit and dismantle, it travels well. You can brace the camera with eyepiece to your cheek, breath slowly. Leave the shoulder brace at home. If extra stability is required for a long lens, compliment the setup with a video mono pod. In addition brace everything on what ever is handy, pole, fence, table, another person.

Hoodman have a rubber band solution, fitted North South, @ $20!!

Last edited by Ron Coker; April 20th, 2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Apparently this little nugget will be unveiled by Redrock at the imminent NAB show:

http://prolost.com/storage/post-imag...ing_01_600.jpg

-- peer
Hmm maybe I should have waited. I ordered and received my Red Rock field bundle just the other day. Took it out on one shoot (wedding) and found it a bit cumbersome to shoot with. The rig is actually very heavy, and not balanced very well- extremely front heavy. Often times my one bicep would cramp up from the strain of holding it for an extended period of time.

However it looks like I have all the tools to configure a smaller rig like this. What it would need to finish it would be a vertical pad to brace against the front of your shoulder/chest rather than on top of your shoulder. That would keep the size and weight down while offering follow focus and a stable grip.
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Hmm maybe I should have waited. I ordered and received my Red Rock field bundle just the other day. Took it out on one shoot (wedding) and found it a bit cumbersome to shoot with. The rig is actually very heavy, and not balanced very well- extremely front heavy. Often times my one bicep would cramp up from the strain of holding it for an extended period of time.

However it looks like I have all the tools to configure a smaller rig like this. What it would need to finish it would be a vertical pad to brace against the front of your shoulder/chest rather than on top of your shoulder. That would keep the size and weight down while offering follow focus and a stable grip.
I would recommend a MultiRigPro.. The advantage of that is it comes with a flexpod which is a weight bearing stick with dampening that attaches to your belt. I've used the MultiRigPro without this flexpod and the rig becomes incredibly more difficult to shoulder. So the flexpod is cruicial. I can't imagine how any of these fancy shoulder rigs for the DSLRs make it easier to shoot. Perhaps if you weigh it down in the back to even it out, but then you're dealing with 2x the weight on your shoulder..
Old April 21st, 2009, 02:09 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
I would recommend a MultiRigPro.. The advantage of that is it comes with a flexpod which is a weight bearing stick with dampening that attaches to your belt. I've used the MultiRigPro without this flexpod and the rig becomes incredibly more difficult to shoulder. So the flexpod is cruicial. I can't imagine how any of these fancy shoulder rigs for the DSLRs make it easier to shoot. Perhaps if you weigh it down in the back to even it out, but then you're dealing with 2x the weight on your shoulder..
I would recommend the MultiRigPro as well. It is a great oiece of equipment & reasonably priced. If you use it without the shoulder mount & just with the flexible support rod it's a good alternative to a steadicam. It doesn't fly quite like a steadicam but requires no skill to produce very smooth moving footage.

Cheers

Nigel
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I would recommend the MultiRigPro as well. It is a great oiece of equipment & reasonably priced. If you use it without the shoulder mount & just with the flexible support rod it's a good alternative to a steadicam. It doesn't fly quite like a steadicam but requires no skill to produce very smooth moving footage.

Cheers

Nigel
Nigel, I'm assuming to use the MRP in fly-mode, the quickest way is to just fold the shoulder arm in? Or is it still better to remove it altogether?
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:40 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Nigel, I'm assuming to use the MRP in fly-mode, the quickest way is to just fold the shoulder arm in? Or is it still better to remove it altogether?
Just fold it under & hold the two the two handles out in front of you. It's more tiring on the arms than using a shoulder mount but an awful lot less tiring than holding a Steadicam Merlin or the just the 5D at arm's length. The spring-loaded support takes the weight so the handles can just be used to aim the camera.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD