New review of the 5D... with firmware upgrade? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 19th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Major Player

New review of the 5D... with firmware upgrade?

A quote from a review printed today:
"One of the biggest features on the Mark II isn't related to still shooting -- it's about movies. The camera has the ability to record Full HD video -- that's 1920 x 1080 -- at 30 frames/second, with sound. You can use any lens you want, and all the camera's manual controls are at your disposal."

You can read the full review at:
Digital Camera Resource Page: Canon EOS-5D Mark II Review

-- peer
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Strange! Such a late review... and just happen to coincide with the rumors.. I would be cautious though since the review sounds like it was written for novice users with some very basic information of the 5D2.. I doubt they'd be the first ones to get dibs at a new firmware, if such a thing exist..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Major Player

is aperture control going to happen, keep my fingers crossed!!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
I would be cautious though since the review sounds like it was written for novice users with some very basic information of the 5D2.
And perhaps that review were also written by a novice user -- this is what he replied to me:
Quote:
I'm confused... I can adjust the aperture before I start recording a movie in aperture priority mode. What are you referring to?
Since he's actually the founder & editor of that online publication, I guess he either got a camera with a new firmware, or he's indeed confused.

-- peer
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Major Player

This is just like every other, "I've got manual control" thread coming from new users who "can set" things the way they want and shoot video. Too bad none of them seem to realize the recorded video didn't actually use those settings.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
This is just like every other, "I've got manual control" thread coming from new users who "can set" things the way they want and shoot video. Too bad none of them seem to realize the recorded video didn't actually use those settings.
Yea, I know. Though, for a moment there, after reading his review, I was doing backflips believing a new firmware was released just in time for the NAB show ;^)

-- peer
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Review Corrected today (4/20/09):

Quote:
There are some advantages and disadvantages of shooting movies on a digital SLR. On the plus side, you can use lens you own, from fisheye to super telephoto. You can zoom in and out as you please and if your lens has image stabilization, that's available too. You can fool around with Picture Styles, for unique color effects. There are a few downsides, though. For one, the camera is not focusing continuously while you're recording a movie. You can press the AF-on button to use contrast detect AF, but that results in slow focusing, clicking noises, and other weird effects. That means that if you adjust the focal length or your subject moves out of focus, you need to adjust the focus manually. That's a lot harder than it sounds -- it takes practice, for sure. The other thing to note is that you cannot control any manual settings (unless you count exposure compensation or AE lock) in movie mode. If you've set the ISO, shutter speed, or aperture manually, they will be ignored as soon as the camera starts recording.

There were some inaccuries in the above paragraph in the original review. They were corrected on 4/20/09. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
Review Corrected today (4/20/09)
Yep, after an email exchange with the author, he admitted that he indeed is a novice; that he doesn't "follow the professional video recording market".

-- peer
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Major Player

The tip off is that the author misspelled the word, "inaccuracies".
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
The tip off is that the author misspelled the word, "inaccuracies".
And there were other "inaccuracies" in his text as well, omitted words, etc ;^)

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD