ND Filters - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #16
Inner Circle

If you put on a matte box, you instantly receive a job promotion to "big movie guy", which for some of us is a promotion from our current job title and for some us, it becomes a huge nuisance. "Are you shooting a movie?" "What are you shooting?", etc.

I have the Cinevate mattebox and it is larger than the 5D MKII itself, with the french flags and wings, it is huge and would look really stupid walking around shooting hand held.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Or you could get a matte box, and buy a set of 4x4 filters that you could use on both lenses.
Although a Singh-Ray Vari ND is very tempting, I would need at least two of them, alas it would be more expensive than going the mattebox route. Hence, a mattebox is what I'm getting.

-- peer
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
If you put on a matte box, you instantly receive a job promotion to "big movie guy", which for some of us is a promotion from our current job title and for some us, it becomes a huge nuisance. "Are you shooting a movie?" "What are you shooting?", etc.

I have the Cinevate mattebox and it is larger than the 5D MKII itself, with the french flags and wings, it is huge and would look really stupid walking around shooting hand held.

Dan
Even though it was my suggestion, I completely agree!
I have 3 matteboxes for various sizes and purposes, but won't use them for street shooting for exactly the reason you suggest. The best thing about the 5D2 is being invisible (ok ONE of the best things).

I do however carry some cheaper 4x4 filters in my backpack to hold up in front of the lens for one time shots.

You could get the Cinetactics MatteBlox which is much less eye grabbing than a conventional matte box. I have one of those as well.
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #19
Inner Circle

What do people think about the quality of the Cokin filters? They use a system of an adaptor that screws onto the lens & then the filters (up to 3 I think) drop into a holder that clips onto the adaptor. You buy a specific sized adaptor for each different sized lens & then the filters & holder are common. It is much cheaper only getting one set of filters rather than a set of filters for each different size of lens. It's also cheaper as the filters are just glass & not in a threaded frame. It's sort of like a matte box except there is no matte & it's not a box:-)

COKIN Creative System - The Holder System - Standard Holder & Pro Holder - A/P/Z/X Series
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I bought into the Cokin filter game and found it fairly useful. The filters were not glass and not coated, but for a one-off (and assuming you hooded the filter effectively) they worked well.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I own about 20 of the Cokin filters but have found myself drifting away from them lately as the system is not very well crafted. The filters have an undesirable brownish colored tint on grades that should be be pure grey (NDs and ND grads), the circular Pola does not fit into the P2 holder very well and overall, they are disposable, the resin scratches too easily. Okay for a beginner if you don't want to spend much but not really very good quality overall.

I have the Cokins and I also have the Formatt, B+W and Schneider 4x4 glass filters and a bunch of random circular filters. One thing I learned that I never knew, the Tiffens are the best circular ND grads to get, almost all of the others are actually plastic, even otherwise great brands like B+W, etc. So if you are buying circular ND grads, get Tiffens.

It all depends on how many lenses you have of which diameters but another good trick is to buy all of your circulars in 77mm. On smaller diameter lenses, just use step up rings an you will never have a vignetting on wide angles this way and you can use just one filter of each type, regardless of how many different size lenses you have. Yes, you can't use a hood but hoods are overrated anyway, when I see flare, I use my hand as a shade but I rarely see flares unless shooting almost straight into the sun.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Is tiffen's HT coating really worth it? I haven't seen any comparos online to be able to judge. I've been using tiffen regular uncoated 4x4 filters for quite some time, and unless shooting straight into the sun, I've never found reflections to be much of a problem. In any case, I firmly believe that shooting straight into the sun should be done with a naked clean lens to be of any use.
Luis de la Cerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Are you asking if it's worth using coated as against uncoated filters Luis? You don't need to be pointing at the sun to get flare from uncoated glass in front of your lens. Try this. Put a white sheet of paper on a dark background in any light you choose. Frame this up in your v'finder so that the paper occupies the top left hand corner (say) of the frame. Now look around the dark background and remove / add the filter. You should easily see the flare generated.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I just bought an HT coated tiffen grad ND. I should probably do the test you mentioned with both a regular ND and the coated grad ND to check if flare looks different.
Luis de la Cerda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD