Canon Rep: "Were working on it" - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I understand. But keep in mind that the 1Ds was far from just a firmware upgrade. Crop vs. full frame is a big deal. [...] Also, I would be surprised if we see a 5D MkIII in fewer than 18 months.
I disagree, and that was my point by referring to the 1D / 1Ds that took less than 5 months. Hence, I doubt it will take 18 months for a similar move of an eventual 5Ds (or whatever they'll call it).

Quote:
If the MkIII has video improvements only, the still community will howl.
I agree.

-- peer
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins View Post
If Nikon delivers, that's probably when I'd sell the 5DMkII and grab the Nikon. I've got a ton of glass for it.
There must be a few of us in this club
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Peer i really don't think you are following the product lines correctly

1d does not equal 1ds

As different as the 50D to the 5DII. The 5d's last camera in the line was the 5d mark I was about 4 years before the 5d II was out.

Currently we have 3 very distinct lines

1ds III Pro Studio Cam / ~24mp / 4.0 fps / Pro AF and Body
1d III Pro Sports Cam / 10 mp / 10 fps / Pro AF and Body
5d II - Upper Prosumer Cam / 24 mp / 3.9 fps / 1080p movie (BTW most people agree this line targeted wedding type photogs)

I have both the 1d3 and the 5dII and use them for totally different situations. Even in the realm of Fashion I use my 1d3 mainly for runway shows and the 5d II for editorial / portraiture

There simply is not a space for another line and no way they would introduce another 5d anytime soon. It would not make sense for them to! Not only would there be major consumer backlash. To open another production line for a cam very similar to the 5d II but with just extra video controls would be a waste of money.

AGAIN for all the people buying old Nikon glass. Why would you jump to Nikon right away without even seeing how good the video is? The next Nikon pro-ish camera will not be released until atleast this fall which is a full year after the Canon. Are you saying Canon cheated you by not releasing it a full year earlier than Nikon? Have you even looked at your glass and noticed you probably need an adapter for the nikon camera too to use them?? It's almost like you are mad at Canon for bring out a camera with features no other have at this point (still camera wise) and has such a seductive depth of field and low light capability that it basically created a new genre of camera.

The next cameras that are coming out for Canon are their top end pro lines... 1d4 and or 1ds4 and if you are buying those for just the video (check the prices of the the top of the line from either company... btw d3x is missing video totally isn't it?) then you need to check your gadget lust and re-evaluate how to spend your money.

For the people who don't follow Camera gear the top of the line when they are released are typically around 6-8k (body only). I think you can get a pretty nice video setup without dealing with still camera form factor for that price
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I was at NAB too and there are a couple of things to take note of:

1. Canon had nothing special in the "video" camera department other then what they already have.

2. The to effort and space to promote the 5D MKII

3. According to the 5D rep, he stated to me "its not in your best interest to spend the money on Nikon Glass for manual control as a resolution to the PROBLEM will be fixed soon.

4. Canon partners were promoting the 5D.

Also Canon will not update the 5D, they aren't stupid in that they are going to redesign an already awesome camera when they don't need to. The profit margin if they were to release a new 5D wouldn't be all that great, this camera "sells" mostly to PHOTOGRAPHERS, not video professionals, PHOTOGRAPHERS are FINE with this camera as it is, only a small share of 5D owners focus on the video features. Redoing the firmware would just attract more of the video crowd, its easy to do, it will sell lenses which are bigger money makers and the can ride off of the hype of the popularity of the camera itself already.
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I totally agree with Silton... As a photographer I could not be more pleased with the 5d II. The bonus is it has brought me into this realm of video and I've learned a ton since I got it. I've recently purchased a XH-A1 to further me down the path of video! :D
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chung View Post
AGAIN for all the people buying old Nikon glass. Why would you jump to Nikon right away without even seeing how good the video is?
I think it can be taken as a given that we would only jump if Nikon get it right (in fact that was stated) - of course we would have to see the footage first.

Quote:
Are you saying Canon cheated you by not releasing it a full year earlier than Nikon?
I didn't hear anyone say that. The 5D produces gorgeous images now, I'm grateful for it; but equally I'm not going to live with its limitations (lack of 25p/exposure control) if the competition resolves these issues in the short/medium term and I already have their glass.

Quote:
Have you even looked at your glass and noticed you probably need an adapter for the nikon camera too to use them?
30 year old AI glass works/meters perfectly on the D300, D700, D3 with no adaptor - there's no reason to suggest this wouldn't be the case on replacement models.
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
30 year old AI glass works/meters perfectly on the D300, D700, D3 with no adaptor - there's no reason to suggest this wouldn't be the case on replacement models.
Josh,

If you see Nikon as your likely next path, you might get their AF lenses. I've got three on loan, and they work great on the 5D MkII. (Be aware that a small number of AF lenses lack aperture rings - avoid those.)

The good news is that whatever we get, we can sell the glass on Craigslist or ebay without taking much, if any, loss. And we can rent the really high end stuff on demand.

Here's an alternative thought... What if Canon added aperture control to the existing camera - as well as some killer live autofocus. In that case, Canon lenses would be delectable. :)
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
If you see Nikon as your likely next path, you might get their AF lenses. )
I've actually been using a couple of Nikkor AF zooms on my 5D, and yes they work great. Apart from getting aperture control, the nice thing about having a Nikkor zoom attached is the shutter doesn't attempt to correlate with focal length - another annoying trait using Canon glass with the 5D - making it easier to achieve 1/40th.

I'm brand agnostic, and eager to see Canon or Nikon come up with a full-frame DSLR with with full exposure control in video mode (and for me being in Pal-land, most crucially 25p).
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Peer i really don't think you are following the product lines correctly
And I really don't think you are following my reasoning in this matter. Many here believe there will be a firmware update -- I, however, believe it will more likely come in a new model -- whether it will be in an 1D, 1Ds, 5D, 5Ds, or a new 1155DDss (or whatever). Sooner or later, we'll see.

-- peer
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #40
Regular Crew

I can say that most people that are looking for this firmware update will not be buying the "new" model that you speak of.

Like I mentioned before the only new models that are coming out for Canon that would be better than the 5d II are the 1 series and they are twice as much as the 5d II. Would you buy a 1ds IV (since 1d will be cropped sensor which possibly could affect the low light ability of the video) for 8000$ just because it had 24p and manual aperture control? So if this cam comes out 6 months later does it have much relevance to the 5d II ?

But you guys were right! I got mixed up with brands and lens compatibility. Seems like on the low end D40 had some screw drive AF functionality left out! Again there is no adapter needed for old nikon to new! My mistake.

It just seems everyone is generalizing the situation a little too much.

There are factors of time to market (When is Nikon going to bring it?)
Canon's response (If they dont have a similar class camera with these functions will they finally put the firmware out)
Cost (Again the flagship cameras are around the 8k range for body only)
Quality (Is it guaranteed that Nikon who doesn't have the R&D and experience in video that Canon does will have better video? Have you checked into the problems people are having with D90 video? - no manual aperture also, rolling shutter more pronounced etc.)

The kind of generalizing statements coming from people makes others who are not as informed wait and hope for a "Jesus cam" while they could be doing amazing stuff with the equipment out there now!

Please Note while i'm a Canon shooter it's more because of their variety of current lenses vs the Nikon line more than the Cameras themselves. And while I am in the opinion that Canon should definitely add a lot of those functions everyone is speaking about , my bone to pick is with all the jumping ship type post. They just seem to be based on the assumption that Canon would rather Nikon come out with a better camera and they sit on their laurels

Last edited by William Chung; April 30th, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
I can say that most people that are looking for this firmware update will not be buying the "new" model that you speak of.
What makes you say this without knowing (I assume) what a "new" model would comprise?

Quote:
Would you buy a 1ds IV (since 1d will be cropped sensor which possibly could affect the low light ability of the video) for 8000$ just because it had 24p and manual aperture control?
Is this what Canon plans to do...? I'm confused.

Quote:
It just seems everyone is generalizing the situation a little too much.
And the above prospection wasn't?

Quote:
The kind of generalizing statements coming from people makes others who are not as informed wait and hope for a "Jesus cam" while they could be doing amazing stuff with the equipment out there now!
I'm not sure what "generalizing statements" you are referring to, but I for one think a forum discussion like this can be very helpful to those "who are not as informed" -- at this point, to wait and see what Canon does might be the best solution for some people. We'll see.

Quote:
They just seem to be based on the assumption that Canon would rather Nikon come out with a better camera and they sit on their laurels.
I don't understand the above sentence.

-- peer
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis de la Cerda View Post
Uncrippling the 5D as it is now would help push sales of an already existing model even further.
No need to. The 5D Mk. II already sells very well, just as it is. Canon will indeed sell every single one that they make; in fact they're still having trouble delivering enough to meet the demand. And it would be that way even if the camera didn't have an HD video mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Remember, it took Canon just 5 months to upgrade their 1D MKIII to a 1Ds MKIII.
It's already been pointed out several times by several members, but it's important for you to understand that the 1Ds is *not* an upgrade to the 1D. You're making an incorrect assumption based on a confusing model numbering system. The 1D and 1Ds are two completely different product lines at two different price tiers.

The 1Ds Mk. III is an upgrade from the 1Ds Mk. II.

Likewise, the 1D Mk. III is an upgrade from the 1D Mk. II.

It's important to understand that these two cameras are completely different product lines, sold at completely different price points, targeting completely different markets. Hope this helps.

Meanwhile this thread has been circling back on itself and not really moving forward. Time to stick a fork in it, 'cause it's done. Thanks all,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD