Yet another firmware thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
It is a very short callback function (about 30 bytes) that just sets a flag in the global config structure. There are many like it; this one had a string in it that gives away its function. I haven't determined if that field is read elsewhere yet, nor have I determined if there is a menu somewhere that calls this function.
Tramm is there an active hack community out there on this one ?
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #17
Regular Crew

If it could help, please put me in the 24/25p asking list.
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #18
Major Player

I saw a feature request sheet on another site that was over a mile long. All I want is manual control on the same functions available in the still mode. Who cares if it's still 30p. I'm sure changing frame rates is a lot more time intensive than changing code to allow manual settings. Did anyone else see this post where users signed to have 1080p30, 1080p24, 720p24, 30 and 60? That's ridiculous!

I don't mind capturing sound on another device, like a digital audio recorder. Just as long as I can control my takes to look visibly identical, in 30p with manual controls.
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chapman View Post
Who cares if it's still 30p
You would care if you lived in a Pal country. 30p is very difficult to integrate with anything here and requires painstaking conversion to 25p to be useful. What's more 50hz lighting often interferes with shots.

If I were in the States though, I would wholeheartedly agree with you :-)
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Of course, we're all in Vimeo country. 24p is their maximum frame rate.

I'm still amazed that they didn't support 25p though. It's not good to insult a large chunk of your market. (I don't see the lack of manual controls as an insult, just a poor decision. The problem with 30p is that it favors one market over another.)
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Of course, we're all in Vimeo country. 24p is their maximum frame rate.
They are supposed to be implementing 30fps for HD video in their player sometime. However at present their conversion of 30fps to 24fps looks just awful. I signed up for an account & uploaded some test footage then had to get a refund because the video looked so terrible & they don't seem to be very interested in fixing it. Nigel Barker's videos on Vimeo They even appear to have deleted my forum posting highlighting this 30fps problem.

It's a shame as the Vimeo setup with interactive comments is nice. Exposure Room is a similar site although less popular but they do play the videos without screwing them up. SmugMug is really great for hosting HD video but doesn't have that community element.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD