jerky video at the highest res - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #16
Major Player

It's there. Go to the Neo Scene web page and click on the "Try It" button. Enter your info, and they'll email you a link to download the trial.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Kern View Post
thanks will do tonight, just did a test ,recorded a video then converted it to mpeg4 using mk convert and it worked perfect in the high res.
But i will download the program memtioned.
Stan,

If all you want to do is just play un-edited raw footage, there are plenty of ways to do it, many of them free. The problem is that the Canon 5D mk II MOV files cause problems on most computers -- blown highlights and crushed blacks, and stuttering being the most obvious, and video/audio rates being less obvious. Again, if all you want to do if play the un-edited footage and you don't care about these problems, then use whatever software you want.

If however you do care about fixing these problems, then none of the software mentioned, except for Neo Scene will help you. And none of them will help you to edit the footage in Premier, execpt for Neo Scene. Converting the MOV files to some random format will most likely cause a loss in quality, as opposed to Neo Scene, which will actually improve the quality for editing.

Julian
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm really surprised at canon for creating an *.mov file which is not friendly with xp or visa
I did convert the video file to an *.avi and that was not too bad but i guess the proper term is stutter,i have a canon S80 that takes videos at 1024x768 and they are flawless,i have not found neo scene yet for playback,i don't like quicktime becasue it takes over all video files
Also does the auto focus work in the movie mode?

Also its not the systems as i have fast hot systems powerful video and my results are such that i started this thread asking about it
Stan you are dealing with full HD 1920 x 1080 here, out put through a complex codec. A NeoScene conversion "fixes" (old photographic reference) the file into an editable and playable full HD file.
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #19
Regular Crew

to clarify a bit

the playback was not really the issue ,it was the saving of high quality video and possibly writing to a dvd.
Simple program like movie maker does not accept the *.mov file from the camera,neither does pinnacle12,corel video X2 ,i was just looking for a smooth edit and copy to a prg and writing it to dvd .Like the canon S80 --record use any video software and then write to a dvd (at 1024 x 768) not the 5D is much better video but its not as simple.
I converted it and then ran it through software and it was fine ,but you're saying i 'll loose quality..
I had read that corel video studio would accept the file from the 5d then write to a dvd (wrong)
I have downloaded neo scene and we'll see what happens.
Thanks all
Stan Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #20
Regular Crew

more

I downloaded neo scene and it is a coverter like AVS convert ,so why go through such a cost just use AVS convert ?
Am i going to loose quality?
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #21
Regular Crew

again .....

Maybe i asked the wrong questions ----what software would allow me to use the video on the flash card ,do a bit of editting add a few titles then write it to a dvd so one could run it on a tv type dvd playback unit?
Would the adobe video software do the trick ,or was there something that came with the canon camera
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
I downloaded neo scene and it is a coverter like AVS convert ,so why go through such a cost just use AVS convert ?
Am i going to loose quality?
AVS convert does not create the intermediate format that NeoScene makes. It just transcodes from one final format to another. It doesn't fix any of the problem that the Canon native MOV files have (crushed blacks, blown highlights, frame rate errors etc - search the Cineform forum for more details). You'll suffer a generation loss going from the MOV file to the file output by AVS convert, then you'll have another generation loss when you render the file from your editor.

Julian
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Maybe i asked the wrong questions ----what software would allow me to use the video on the flash card ,do a bit of editting add a few titles then write it to a dvd so one could run it on a tv type dvd playback unit?
Would the adobe video software do the trick ,or was there something that came with the canon camera
On a PC, you'll have to convert the MOV files to another format to make editing possible. As we keep suggesting, NeoScene is the way to go. Once you have your Cineform intermediate files (which are actually better for editing than the original MOVs), you'd edit them whatever non-linear editor you chose. Common NLEs on PCs are Adobe's Premier Pro and Sony's Vegas. Once you've made all your edits, you'd output the footage to DVD through a DVD authoring program like Adobe Encore.

BTW, in another message you said, "use any video software and then write to a dvd (at 1024 x 768)". The DVD format is standard definition, not HD, and it's format is 720x480, not 1024x768. You can't make a DVD with a 1024x768 movie... it has to be converted to 720x480 at some point in the workflow.

Julian
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #24
Regular Crew

ok

thanks ,just needed all the facts pounded in,i'll go for the neo scene and learn how to handle it and drop the AVS convert .i appreciate the sticking with the thread assistance.

stan
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #25
Regular Crew

VLC is a free media player that will play 5D II videos smoothly using the settings shown on this page.
Bert Na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #26
Regular Crew

becoming really difficult

The videos from this camera are not just copy and manipulate.
I have been at this now for 3 days,i have videos with audio and without ,videos that jerk, videos that are smooth but no audio.
The neo scene does do the trick but a 649 meg *.mov file becomes a 1.9 gig file after neo scene converts it to a neo scene *.avi, so a 4.79 gig dvd is not going to hold much video going at this rate.
What are people doing with the high quality video from this camera ,is the apple computer the answer.
This is just like stepping back in time when we used to edit video (composite or s-video and it was difficult) but then along came dv which made it quite simple..
I am not making much head way here
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #27
Regular Crew

not alone here

looks like there is trouble with the video ,came across this article...(copied /pasted)
(i am disappointed but when it comes to the video maybe the video camera is the wayto go not having a still/video camera)
Pros:
Amazing Video Quality for the Price (and I do mean amazing, especially in low light with a good lens)
Wide variety of High Quality Interchangeable Lenses

Cons:
Auto Focus is Manual (must push AF-ON button every time you wish to achieve focus lock)
AF is Slow
Extremely Difficult to Hand Hold and Keep Steady (no shoulder mount, or in camera stabilization)
Tripod Basically a Requirement
Internal Mic picks up every little noise including, and especially the AF motors and IS motors
External Mic Basically a Requirement
Difficult to judge focus from the LCD screen when shooting in low light
No manual control of Aperture, Shutter, or ISO
4gb Clip Limit (about 12 Minutes in HD)
Image degrades due to heat over time. Must allow the camera time to "cool off" in between long takes.
No Included Editing Software
Very little software available to the prosumer/consumer for editing footage
Expensive Computer Gear and Editing Set-up Required for most Use (or tanscoding to an intermediate codec)
Recent Computer Gear Required just for Playback of unedited files straight from the camera.

The Hype
Canon owes a huge debt of gratitude to one Vincent LaForet for his early release of a short concept video entitled, Reverie. I believe that video alone probably created more buzz for this product than anything, and I do mean anything, that Canon themselves have done. When I first saw the video, I thought wow, that's a pretty nice music video. But, having heard about a number of the limitations of the video mode like the 4gb file size limit, etc. I thought well, at least it will be something nice for my wife to use to shoot the kids with in low light.

The video mode in the Canon 5D MKII is basically useless for the average consumer/ prosumer. I can think of only one or two instances where this video mode would shine for a prosumer. Both require a fixed focus situation. At a school play, or a concert you will be able to get unbelievable natural light footage, provided you stabilize the camera with a tripod.

Last edited by Stan Kern; May 10th, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
The neo scene does do the trick but a 649 meg *.mov file becomes a 1.9 gig file after neo scene converts it to a neo scene *.avi, so a 4.79 gig dvd is not going to hold much video going at this rate.
A 1.9GB Cineform HD AVI file is 1920x1080 resolution. A video DVD is 720x480. Apples and oranges, Stan.

Quote:
What are people doing with the high quality video from this camera ,is the apple computer the answer.
This is just like stepping back in time when we used to edit video (composite or s-video and it was difficult) but then along came dv which made it quite simple..
I am not making much head way here
I think you need to decide what you want to do with this video! It feels like we're chasing you while you change what you want to do! :-)

If you want to edit video in an NLE on a PC and burn a it to DVD, get NeoScene, use it to convert your MOVs to AVIs, then make your edits in the NLE. Then output it to 720x480 in your DVD authoring program.

If you just want to watch it, play it back direct from the camera to your Hi-Def TV using an HDMI cable.

If you want to store/archive it, buy a tape backup and backup the original MOVs.

Julian
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #29
Regular Crew

back

Julian
I just got this camera so i'm learning,had the 20d and have the xl1s.I have worked with video in the past and it seemed to work out ok with the software i was using ,along came this format and i ran into trouble.
But i'm on the right track now ,i used neo scene did the convert to neo scene avi and now you're saying i can edit my results then save the video (whats NLE) using nero or any of the writing software to a dvd ,mind you the files can be large .
I am anxious to make this work as its great to be able to have quality stills and videos from the same camera.
What editing program would you recommend that has a timeline ( i like the drag and drop into a timeline)
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #30
Inner Circle

If you're a PC user, I recommend Vegas Pro. If you know Windows programs like Word and PowerPoint, you'll find that it's really intuitive to use. They have a free 30-day demo, so you can check it out risk free.

Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Pro

Oh, and "NLE" is "non-linear editor". Basically, it just means video editing software.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD