Inventory holdup mean Canon update soon? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Inventory holdup mean Canon update soon?

I have been on this forum (and vimeo) everyday it seems for over a month now—watching samples, learning tricks, and reading from others' experience.

I have cash in hand and B&H and other online outlets have been on backorder for the 5DM2 this whole time. I keep thinking that I will get an email letting me know I can place my order, but it never comes.

I know that the camera (as a still camera in the photography world) is doing great and it's not out of the question that demand has surpassed supply. But, the company is smart and has heard a lot of talk from us—the consumer. They admitted at NAB that the video demand took them off guard, but (not to start some rumor here), I really hope this delay in inventory is some internal product fix via firmware.

I remember my JVC-GY-HD100u had to be sent in free of charge to get the "ua" update, instead of just via firewire update. I wonder if the fix needed for this camera to allow manual video control needs the camera body at a Canon factory to update? Do you think (hope) we will all have a fix and the new firmware updated versions on shelves by the time the GH1 comes out? That would pretty much take over a large portion of Panasonic's target audience (people sick of their 5D's wanting 24p and auto controls). I know I would rather spend the $3600 on a full-frame sensor and great dslr than wasting $1400 on a 2x crop factor.

I guess I will just suffer through Patrick Moreau's star button fix—even if this lack of inventory is just a lack of inventory. Besides... a firmware update is just a waiting game. It will be here—eventually.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You need to see this: 5D Mark Free audio meters on Vimeo

A consumer firmware programer at work.. Here is thread. He is rocketing through the firmware...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...-mark-2-a.html

by the way, try one of the big box stores... only one left I guess...
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There are plenty of 5D MKIIs out there for purchase, you just have to sniff them out. I bought mine two weeks ago from the most obvious retailer around, Amazon.com had them, I ordered it from them and it came. There is no reason anyone cannot have a 5D MKII almost instantaneously if they hunt a bit.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey James,

Not sure when you last looked but seems most retailers online have them in stock now. Go check it out :) Good luck!
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #5
Major Player

It looks like Tramm is well on his way. We will see who can win that race—him or Canon!

I actually saw that I could get the 5DM2 body at Best Buy. I wanted to get the kit, as I think the lens is a pretty good deal. As far as Amazon goes, there is no way that I'm paying more than suggested retail for the kit. I see $3799+ on there right now, compared to B&H's $3499. A lot of places it seems are selling them with an asterisk claiming "will ship when received from Canon." That means to me that they don't have it in stock. I'm glad some of you guys have had luck on Amazon, but I have been ripped off a few times by some of the merchants. I would never spend that much money on there, unless it was an actual store with an Amazon account.

Looks like I can get the body now at B&H. There went my idea on all this!!
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I bought the 5D MKII body directly from Amazon, not from one of their vendors. I recently bought a film camera from an Amazon vendor and the vendor sent me the wrong color of camera, their ad said that the camera was black but they shipped silver. Then they wouldn't take it back and only offered me $5.00 to keep the silver.

I will never buy from a third party vendor through Amazon again.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD