It's official: Canon USA offers 5D2 firmware update - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
We'll probably still want more features, so I'll spend next week figuring out the new firmware layout.
Well, this does nothing to address the audio features you've already demonstrated, so I for one am still looking forward to using your firmware.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #17
Major Player

Well, I have been sitting on the sidelines. I shoot with Chris Barcellos, and have enjoyed the images his Canon 5D has produced, but the workarounds were too much for me.

Great that manual control has arrived (?) but "I'll wait and see how it works" I say... but still magnificently encouraging. Still missing... audio (thank you Tramm for your efforts here - still wondering if separate sound may be in a lot of folks future) and video output during the shoot if possible (!). Bring those into the mix in a manner that works well and I will sell my Z-1 AND my Bolex EBM and go to the full sensor Canon.

I agree with Chris Hurd... I think it is fair to say that we owe this in very large measure to Tramm - most likely. (And posts hinting they were going to buy Nikon Glass along the way added in for good measure). But I think the fear that Tramm would crack the nut and have a hacked camera out there employing software that Canon didn't invent and support was just too embarassing and too market influencing for Canon - IMHO. Tramm ought to set up a website JUST with a paypal "Pay Now" link. I'd throw some money his way as most Canon owners likely would.

FINALLY !

Chris Swanberg

R.I.P. 1/3 inch sensors.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #18
Major Player

Thank you for the info Chris, and thank you Canon for listening and making this happen! As I have said before, my hat goes off to Tramm as well! I am seriously amazed and did not think that we would ever get this, let alone as early as the beginning of June. My advice to anyone that is still on the fence about buying the 5DII: buy one now before they are back-ordered for months!

Time to start dropping my cash on some "L" series glass! I'm glad this came when it did because over the past couple of days I have actually been shopping for Nikon glass.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #19
Major Player

This is great news! I'm going to eat my hat.

I'm not ditching my manual glass yet though, I'm not sure that the new firmware will allow you to 'ride' the aperture of a Canon lens in the way you do on a Nikon or Contax. Also trying to manual focus on my L glass is not as smooth or easy as with a Zeiss, most Canon lenses have a very short focus travel. That said, the ability to AF and then manual overide is pretty neat.

I've still got a small army of Canon lenses so I can test both now.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #20
Regular Crew

24P can be easily worked around, so can audio, just track to something like the Samson Zoom H4N. Anyway I knew this would happen because as I mentioned the Canon rep gave me word at NAB.
Silton Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Brilliant !!!!
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I think for now Canon has made a nice compromise for us all in this firmware...

They fact they would go back and add these features also gives hope that it's possible they will add others when the time is right.
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Gentlemen, how would you like your crow prepared? ;)

I've been frustrated, but optimistic. I've just today built my collection to include the Canon EF 28 f/1.8, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8. I just couldn't imagine Canon sitting back as their most vocal users promote adapters and Nikon lenses.

That said, the real reason I bought Canon lenses was because shooting stills of moving objects in changing conditions with manual Nikons was a pain in the rear. I figured that if I have to trick the camera on every video shot anyway, how much worse is it to fight/untwist/mylar the Canon lens setup?

So... will manual include manual audio gain? We will see.

I'm also optimistic about 24/25p. They promoted video to photojournalists in China (a 50 Hz country) recently. All of Europe is upset. Once they do 25p, they know that we will just shoot at that rate and slow it down by 4%, so they might as well offer 24p.

An Epic Begins with "M"

More to come?...
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Hudson promises to continue to work on his sound workaround, and also has developed a Zebra process. He also seems to think his workaround will be able to be piggy backed on the new firmware.

His work arounds are actually made to run of the CF card, so you don't really replace the onboard firmware. If Canon doesn't fix issues, Hudson may still do so..
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I'm also optimistic about 24/25p... ... All of Europe is upset.
You can count on that! We are treated as the last thing to do. Thanks Canon! :-(

I'm happy of course NTSC buyers finally start to have what they bought in the first place! ;-)

They had to see the GH1 on their back and a hacked firmware to wake up, the whole thing is pretty sad... How many months they took to do it??

One question for Tramm, without any support from Canon, how many hours have you dedicated to your firmware??
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Plagaro View Post
You can count on that! We are treated as the last thing to do. Thanks Canon!
It's probably the hardest thing to do, so I'm not surprised that it will take more time.

Also, this order makes sense. Add manual controls for 30p, then add 24/25p right the first time. Otherwise, they would release 24/25p with auto controls and potentially have to start from scratch to make it manual.

Anyway, I can't wait for the update!
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #27
Trustee

This is GREAT!! Glad to have stayed with Canon lens. Unfortunately I'm in PAL land, and most of Asia is still hoping for 25P but still, I am grateful for this to happen!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #28
Trustee

Nice!!!

I put the EF 70-200L F/4 IS on the 5DMkII, the image stabilization helped make handheld footage more usable, but the noise of the IS motor is heard on the audio, fairly prominent.

The manual controls will be a great addition. I still think the video has excessive aliasing artifacts that should be eliminated. I can always dream.

Don't let me spoil it, party on...
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
...the noise of the IS motor is heard on the audio, fairly prominent.
An external mic is a must for any serious sound. Tramm's firmware will let us lock the gain and visually monitor the levels. All that's needed is a clean preamp with phantom power, and clean audio is yours.

Quote:
...I still think the video has excessive aliasing artifacts that should be eliminated. I can always dream.
Don't dream. Use softening filters! :)
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
It's probably the hardest thing to do, so I'm not surprised that it will take more time.

Also, this order makes sense. Add manual controls for 30p, then add 24/25p right the first time. Otherwise, they would release 24/25p with auto controls and potentially have to start from scratch to make it manual.
Why the hardest??

I can understand it may be hard to make a 24p/25p/30p. I can understand that to make a video PAL output can be difficult (?).

But unless I am wrong (I have been before!) there must be a line of code where the fps is declared, you just change 30 to 25. Then there are shutting speeds, with 30p they are 1/30, 1/60, 1/120. You change them to 1/25, 1/50/1/100... Even without a PAL output, a firmware that gives manual control and 25p would be a big step in the right direction. This could have been made since day 1...
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD