It's official: Canon USA offers 5D2 firmware update - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 31st, 2009, 01:58 AM   #121
Regular Crew

First, thank you all for your responses.

I wonder how other CMOS video cameras deal with the sensor's heat.

@Peer Land: by "drama" I meant that I set up everything before hitting the record button and I am not hunting events to shoot, therefore I do not need auto focus nor auto bla bla bla. I want as many as possible manual controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
I don't know, but by "drama" if you mean theater plays, then keep in mind that you can only shoot 12 minutes continuously with the 5D.

-- peer
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:53 PM   #122
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Ionescu View Post
1. How suited is 5D Mark II for video pro shooting?
The 5D is perfect for personal projects and creating pretty images when you have time on your hands.

It can be used for professional work, but due to it's fiddly nature, audio limitations (and being 30p in a 25p country), you can't rely on it as your sole camera if you're doing work for a diverse set of clients.

The XHA1 is a great little camera, much more suited for day to day work. I sold my XHA1 and bought the 5D - a lot of 5D shots have a "wow" factor, but I often miss my XHA1 for ease of use and just getting the job done, hassle free. Lots of little things (like a fold out lcd, built in NDs, proper audio control, 60 minute record time...) make life easier.

By the way, as Chris stated, there is absolutely nothing wrong with HDV as impletmented in the XHA1. It's very stable, very effective. I never experienced any issues with Canon HDV (and I owned 4 cameras at one point).

Last edited by Josh Dahlberg; May 31st, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:16 PM   #123
Inner Circle

I agree with Josh.

I own the Panasonic AG-HPX170 and while I am totally digging the 5D MKII, I am not grabbing it to shoot broadcast and corporate shows. It is a still camera that shoots great video. The audio is a PITA. Shooting without the manual controls as of today is a PITA (although this will be somewhat remedied on Tuesday). Ergonomically, the 5D MKII is a disaster for shooting hand held especially. Basically, you cannot shoot it hand held without a shoulder mount, tripod, monopod or stabilizer whereas my 170 is a dream to shoot hand held.

As a professional, I cannot imagine only owning and shooting with a 5D MKII, you still need a video camera. As a hobbyist, you could probably survive with just the 5D MKII. For me, it is just another tool, perfect for some situations, mostly ones that I am not getting paid on.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:04 PM   #124
Inner Circle

If you are an event shooter, I understand the issues and reconize benefits of a video camera. But this camera is about and for the narrative shooter, and with the update coming, it is as close as I will get to the depth of field and sharpeness of film. I am not claiming everything is just like film. And for those hard line "like film shooters" who want 24p, its not there right now.

As it stands, in a narrative setting you would obviously go double system sound, just like the big boys do.. so, I am living with that. If Hudson, gets us to controlable sound level, we may still not have good enough sound capability for narrative work. Peer is a sound guy and he knows more about the specs of the camera to tell us if it goes.

And there aren't many takes I have been involved with that exceed 4 minutes, let alone 12.

But this camera is all about super images, using some wonderful lenses that can be bought for a song. Peer, I am betting that if you buy a the most expensive 35mm adapter you will not get an image on your XL2 anywhere near what this camera will give you.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:56 AM   #125
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
As it stands, in a narrative setting you would obviously go double system sound, just like the big boys do.. so, I am living with that. If Hudson, gets us to controlable sound level, we may still not have good enough sound capability for narrative work. Peer is a sound guy and he knows more about the specs of the camera to tell us if it goes.
Many of us have listed items that we want in a new firmware (and/or perhaps in a new camera altogether). But now, after we've gotten the most sought after manual controls, I must say that THE function that would make me the happiest would be time-code.

Obviously, with implemented time-code it would be possible to quite elegantly run double-sys audio, without using a clapperboard or some other inane sync methods (sorry if I offended any hand-clappers out there ;^)

Quote:
But this camera is all about super images, using some wonderful lenses that can be bought for a song. Peer, I am betting that if you buy a the most expensive 35mm adapter you will not get an image on your XL2 anywhere near what this camera will give you.
Yes, Chris, I believe you -- and hopefully soon I'll have my little 5D too (but man, will I miss the XL2's versatile audio).

-- peer
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM   #126
Major Player

So when exactly will the firmware be available for download? Midnight tonight?
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM   #127
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
The XHA1 is a great little camera, much more suited for day to day work. I sold my XHA1 and bought the 5D - a lot of 5D shots have a "wow" factor, but I often miss my XHA1 for ease of use and just getting the job done, hassle free. Lots of little things (like a fold out lcd, built in NDs, proper audio control, 60 minute record time...) make life easier.
Just to second Josh's comments here - I'm actually glad I held off on selling the XHA1 until after I had a chance to shoot a while with the 5D. As it stands now I'm using the 5D primarily for short narrative films and still using the XHA1 for paid corporate work which consist of primarily interviews, etc.

That said, I see the potential for the 5D to start taking over more of the paid duties in the near future. The combination of the manual controls in the Canon firmware + Tramm's audio fixes address a lot of the limitations of the 5D for the type of paid work I do. I'm looking forward to testing the juicedLink with Tramm's firmware, I think the combo will work very well for single system sound in interview situations.

I also recently shot a fight night at my gym handheld with the 5D & kit lens - without a shoulder brace the ergonomics weren't great, but even manually pulling focus on boxers moving quickly around the ring wasn't too dificult @ f4. The biggest issue I had was shutter speed - 1/30th is too slow for fast action like that - but the canon firmware should fix that issue. Add some sort of shoulder support into the mix and I'm starting to think the XHA1 may be spending a lot more time at home soon.
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #128
Major Player

Another PAL user waiting for a 25p firware upgrade? Canon... where are you?
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #129
Regular Crew

Advice is solicited

Well I downloaded the firmware 1.1.0, even after setting the shutter as well as aperture 5DM2 chooses exposure by itself. I feel the aperture as well as shutter are over ride by the camera, even in manual, AV & TV modes. Even I changed the ISO from A to upto 400.

Ashok
Ashok Mansur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #130
Obstreperous Rex

Ashok, did you make sure to remove the battery after updating the firmware? The new firmware doesn't take hold unless the camera battery has been removed completely from the camera for a few seconds and then reinserted. Also, make sure that Exposure Simulation isn't on. Manual control isn't available in movie mode when Exp. Sim. is activated.

Go to Menu > Settings 2 > Live View / Movie func. set. > LV func. setting > Stills+movie > Movie display (not Exposure simulation).

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #131
Regular Crew

Thank you Chris,

Yes the Exposure simulation was on now I turned it off & getting the results. What ISO setting to be made, in earlier replies to others you said the shutter will be between 1/30 to 1/125 so should I set the shutter in between the above?
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #132
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Ashok,

Previously when movie mode was auto only, the camera would select a shutter speed between 1/30 to 1/125. With the firmware update, you can select any shutter speed you want when shooting a movie in Manual mode, but the 1/30 to 1/125 range is what's recommended by Canon.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #133
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Ashok, did you make sure to remove the battery after updating the firmware? The new firmware doesn't take hold unless the camera battery has been removed completely from the camera for a few seconds and then reinserted. Also, make sure that Exposure Simulation isn't on. Manual control isn't available in movie mode when Exp. Sim. is activated.

Go to Menu > Settings 2 > Live View / Movie func. set. > LV func. setting > Stills+movie > Movie display (not Exposure simulation).

Hope this helps,
I made this same mistake yesterday, while alpha testing beta 2 0.1.5 for Hudson. Somehow that setting changed. It was freaking me out at first, but I ultimately resolved it. I am sure my initial reports of the problem and my error were a relief to Hudson. I actually went so far as to reinstall, 1.07, then 1.10 before I discovered real issue.
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #134
Regular Crew

Chris

What ISO setting would be better?
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #135
Major Player

Just thought I would chime in and say that Canon should really change the frame rate from 30.00 to 29.97. I know the issue is probably that capturing 30 progressive stills is easier than doing the industry standard 29.97fps, but it just seems like such a basic thing. 24p would be nice too! (23.98!)
-Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD