Neutral Density filters for a 5D... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 26th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I have now been using my 77mm Fader ND for a few days & it is just great. I have been
really, really pleased with my purchase. There are no aberrations or colour casts & it just works as advertised.

I have been able to compare the Fader ND with a Singh-Ray Vari-ND & the Fader ND is better. The Singh-Ray is very thick & can cause vignetting with wide angle lenses whereas the Fader ND does not. The Fader ND 77mm is actually an 82mm filter that is in a 77mm step down mount & a nice touch is that an 82mm lens cap was included.

I always thought that the Singh-Ray was crazily expensive for what it is. The Fader ND is not cheap crap but is at least as good quality as the Singh-Ray but at a much more reasonable price. It also comes in a greater range of filter sizes. I have already ordered a couple more.
Thanks for the recommendation Nigel, I have ordered one of my own to start off
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Nigil,

How does the 82mm work with Canons lens hoods. I use a 70-200 f 2.8, 100-400 and 17-40 and 24-105 all are 77's.

I ordered one and I should have it in a week or so.

Just curious, if you use it on any of those lenses.
I have the 24-105mm & you can use the lens hood but it is not easy. The problem is that the lens hood will fit over a normal 77mm filter but with the 82mm filter in a step-down ring you need to fit the filter while the lens hood is in place. It is possible although a bit fiddly & I usually end up with finger prints all over the filter glass. The next problem once you have the filter fitted is that you need to reach into the lens hood to rotate the filter to adjust the amount of light it passes but I guess that this would still be a problem even if it were a 77mm filter. I guess that it would be better to buy an 82mm screw-in lens hood.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #33
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
I have the 24-105mm & you can use the lens hood but it is not easy. The problem is that the lens hood will fit over a normal 77mm filter but with the 82mm filter in a step-down ring you need to fit the filter while the lens hood is in place. It is possible although a bit fiddly & I usually end up with finger prints all over the filter glass. The next problem once you have the filter fitted is that you need to reach into the lens hood to rotate the filter to adjust the amount of light it passes but I guess that this would still be a problem even if it were a 77mm filter. I guess that it would be better to buy an 82mm screw-in lens hood.
Hmm. Maybe a mattebox.

I have often thought a light weight mattebox that uses Canons bayonet mount would be cool. I will see if someone makes one.

Otherwise maybe I will sacrifice one of the hoods to modify as a mattebox with french flags. It could work with all 77mm filter Canon lenses.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #34
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Hmm. Maybe a mattebox.

I have often thought a light weight mattebox that uses Canons bayonet mount would be cool. I will see if someone makes one.

Otherwise maybe I will sacrifice one of the hoods to modify as a mattebox with french flags. It could work with all 77mm filter Canon lenses.
I ordered my Fader ND this morning. I'd be interested in how you plan to modify your hood as a mattebox.

Thanks,
Fred
Fred LeFevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Can the Fader ND work as a circular polarizer lens also?

I assume so since it is just two polarizer lenses...

That way, for the price of a polarizer lens, I can have a variable ND filter too!

thanks...
David Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
I have been able to compare the Fader ND with a Singh-Ray Vari-ND & the Fader ND is better. The Singh-Ray is very thick & can cause vignetting with wide angle lenses whereas the Fader ND does not.
What is the widest lens you've used the Fader without vignetting?

Thanks.
Jeremy Nicholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Nicholl View Post

Thanks.
I have been using it with no problems on a Tamron 20-40mm F2.7-3.5. This lens has a 77mm filter ring.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #38
Inner Circle

After trying our Nigel's ND fader, I ordered one as well. I will be using it with the Canon 17-40 F4 L so as soon as the filter and lens arrive, I will report back on vignetting.

Great find Nigel!

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
After trying our Nigel's ND fader, I ordered one as well. I will be using it with the Canon 17-40 F4 L so as soon as the filter and lens arrive, I will report back on vignetting.

Dan
Yes, do please. I have a 16-35 and I'm sure it would vignette at the wide end, but I'm interested to see how wide you can go and still use it. The Sing Ray is very nice, but it vignettes even at 24mm.
Jeremy Nicholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yes, do please. I have a 16-35 and I'm sure it would vignette at the wide end, but I'm interested to see how wide you can go and still use it. The Sing Ray is very nice, but it vignettes even at 24mm.
Not sure how much it will help, but you do realize the 17-40 uses a 77mm filter while the 16-35 uses a 82mm filter?

The fader nd offers the 77mm stepped to 82mm while the 82mm is stepped to 86. Dont know the math, but I would *assume* that you may have a lesser chance of vigenetting with the 82/86mm at 16mm than the 77-82 at 17mm.

My question is that on the singh-ray, they offer the nd with a polarizing filter, and I'm curious to know if its possible to do this with the fader nd? Has anyone tried it if it is possible?
Geoff Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
I too would like to know what lens was used to test out the sing-ray.

I just ordered the fader nd in 77 and 82mm, I will report back (if noone else does) on the 16-35mm canon lens with the 82/86mm fader nd filter.
(i doubt the 24-70 canon in 77mm will exhibit vigenetting)
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #42
Major Player

I received my Fade (77mm) the other day. I just tried my 17-40 L with it attached it it vignettes from 17mm thru about 20mm. :-(

Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
I received my Fade (77mm) the other day. I just tried my 17-40 L with it attached it it vignettes from 17mm thru about 20mm. :-(

Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Julian
sorry to hear that:(

I guess I can assume the 77 will be fine with my 24-70 canon lens?
on the other hand, I guess the million dollar question is how is the 82 going to do with the 16-35?
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #44
Inner Circle

That's disappointing Julian, I was hoping for no vignetting at 17. Oh well, I guess 17mm is destined for interiors only. I wonder if the 82mm with an adapter ring would have had no vignetting?

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #45
Major Player

'Other than that, I'm happy with it.' do you have any other info re build quality? is there any colouration etc? thanks!
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD