Picture Styles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Picture Styles

I've been seeing all kinds of recommendations (apparently something happens in the video conversion so the results don't match still images), unfortunately the recommendations don't include the subject or lighting so i'm still clueless (and i'm a photograper, not videographer and have only shot RAW for 4 or 5 years).

can anyone explain what happens to the picture styles in video and give me a starting point for wildlife settings?
Steve Runyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Runyan View Post
I've been seeing all kinds of recommendations (apparently something happens in the video conversion so the results don't match still images), unfortunately the recommendations don't include the subject or lighting so i'm still clueless (and i'm a photograper, not videographer and have only shot RAW for 4 or 5 years).

can anyone explain what happens to the picture styles in video and give me a starting point for wildlife settings?
You can apply picture settings to raw images using Canon software. May I suggest you start learning that way? I am in the same boat as you and I am dreading the effort of learning them.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #3
New Boot

my concern is that from what i've read, the picture styles i apply to RAW or JPEG images are not going to look the same in video
Steve Runyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Runyan View Post
my concern is that from what i've read, the picture styles i apply to RAW or JPEG images are not going to look the same in video
I'd like to know where you read that. My experience and the Canon manual claim the results will be the same with stills and video.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
I'd like to know where you read that. My experience and the Canon manual claim the results will be the same with stills and video.
My experience too.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #6
Major Player

I've definitely noticed a difference - for instance, dropping contrast all the way down in video mode is almost required, whereas pictures I've taken with the profiles like that end up with slightly flat, greyish highlights that don't look natural.
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Major Player

I've found them to be identical IF you're comparing video to sRGB (not Adobe RGB) JPEGs. If you're shooting RAW, the final image is dependent on your RAW converter, not the Picture Style (Aperture, Lightroom and ACR ignore Picture Styles).

Picture Styles are very powerful and not that complicated. If you can use Curves in Photoshop, you can create your own style with the Picture Style Editor software.
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD