Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed; with BeachTek DXA-5D and juicedLink CX231 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Set the timeout longer. You definitely want the +10dB analog gain.

Also, record with the levels on the low side to avoid clicks.

"Ai, yai, yai, yai..."

Have fun!
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #77
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
In Part 4 of Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed, I compare the Microtrack II, Zoom H4n, BeachTek DXA-5D, and the juicedLink CX 231 when recording foley sounds with a Rode NT1-A large condenser microphone.

4. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - Foley on Vimeo
Here's the spectragram. Not much to note on it, other than the gain on the Microtrack might be a little high after equalizing them and that the DXA-5D without the pilot tone is producing a sample that is not symmetric about 0. You can see a slight DC offset in the second data set if you view the image in full.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed; with BeachTek DXA-5D and juicedLink CX231-audio4.png  
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post
Here's the spectragram. Not much to note on it, other than the gain on the Microtrack might be a little high after equalizing them and that the DXA-5D without the pilot tone is producing a sample that is not symmetric about 0. You can see a slight DC offset in the second data set if you view the image in full.
Yeah, the Microtrack seems too high. I'll double check my calibration and re-do it, if needed. I normalized on the pin drops. Between the higher noise and elevated bass, I expect the latter parts to be higher, but not that much higher.

I'm not sure where the DC offset came from on the BT/ML. I ran the pilot tone only into the left channel and the signal only into the right. I then selected the right channel only. The only adjustment I made aside from selecting the active channel was gain.
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #79
Inner Circle

I've now posted Part 5: Noise. During that work I triple checked my calibrations. Tonight I'll go back and make any needed adjustments to Part 4...

http://www.vimeo.com/5474562

In Part 5 of Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed, I compare the noise of the Microtrack II, Zoom H4n, BeachTek DXA-5D, and the juicedLink CX 231 using a now noise, Rode NT1-A large condenser microphone.

I first measured the sensitivity of the equipment with a 500Hz tone sequence. I then measured the noise with the microphone in a bathroom in a basement in the center of the floor plan. The mic was suspended in a space surrounded by thick blankets. When you hear my voice, I am outside of the bathroom, speaking through the door.

In post, I normalized all of the mics by adjusting the gains, based on the sensitivity measurements. On the second pass, I added another 18 dB of gain to all the samples to make the noise easy to hear on any playback system.

The uncompressed comparison audio is available here: http://p3pictures.com/audio_5d2/Audi...art5_Noise.zip

Don't miss...
Part 1: Camera Mounted Mic - 1. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - Boom Mic (juicedLink, Zoom H4n, Microtrack II, BeachTek) on Vimeo
Part 2: Camera Mounted Mic - 2. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - On Camera (juicedLink, Zoom H4n, Microtrack II, BeachTek) on Vimeo
Part 3: Wireless Lavalier - 3. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - Wireless Lav on Vimeo
Part 4: Foley - 4. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - Foley on Vimeo
Part 6: Conclusions (pending)
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #80
Major Player

wireless direc to camera

Jon, your perseverance and the depth of your testing is impressive - well done, thanks for sharing so much effort! I'm looking for a down and hopefully not too dirty method to use right away with the gear I have. I'd like to run a lectrosonics SR two channel receiver into the camera, and need to have a cable made. Is there power on the mic jack for the canon?
I'm assuming I can adjust the gain off the receiver to a high mic/low line kind of setting, and avoid buying an additional preamp.
Does this sound reasonable based on your experience?
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #81
Inner Circle

Denis:

In case Jon doesn't get to you, preamps are going to get you cleanest sound. In order to get a usable level of sound, whether going into camera, and/or in boosting after the fact, the low noise provided by a good preamp is highly desireable. The JuicedLink provides that benefit. Pushing the camera gain up, will result in noise levels that aren't desirable. Whether your set up qualifies as a preamp set up is another issue.

I can get more preamp boost, at the expense of portability, with my ENG44 field mixer, but for on camera recording, I don't see another reasonable alternative than to go with a preamped XLR Adapter like the Juiced Link.
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #82
Major Player

Hello Chris - The wireless puts out a pretty high level and is adjustable, its small and I already own it ( the best feature of all).
I need a plug out of the 5D to two mini XLR connectors and my wiring friends want to know if there is power in the circuit which will require capacitors to be soldered into the connector.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #83
Inner Circle

Denis: There is no phantom power from the camera. That's another benefit of the Juiced Link, it provides phantom power up to 48 v. You would have to adapt to mini xlr out of the Juiced Link, (edit ) -> but it sounds like you are not looking for power. This is is simple mini plug input. Are you planning to use Magic Lantern to enable metering ? You will need to, in my opinion, in order to get your levels right, and to monitor out through the AV Jack.
Old July 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Denis,

The 5D has a +5V supply for electret mics. It's still enabled with the ML firmware. Hopefully, we'll be able to turn it off in a future revision.

And, yeah, if the signal from your receiver is hot, no preamp is required. I'd go with a couple of transformers for impedance matching and solder a short, custom Y-cable to connect to the 5D. AC coupling would be good to preserve the 5V supply, but is probably not needed. I believe that the supply is behind a series resistor to protect it.
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #85
Wizard Status

Quote:
The 5D has a +5V supply for electret mics. It's still enabled with the ML firmware. Hopefully, we'll be able to turn it off in a future revision.
Oh, you wanted it turned off? That's easy enough to do. I'll add it as a config option in 0.1.5.
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #86
Inner Circle

Quote:
Denis,

I missed that, sorry.
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Quote:
Oh, you wanted it turned off? That's easy enough to do. I'll add it as a config option in 0.1.5.
Sweet! That should reduce low frequency noise slightly.
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #88
Wizard Status

Quote:
One problem, as I'm sure you have run into, is that the Canon firmware will try to use the composite video output when it boots, which requires the headset to be unplugged and plugged back in. Perhaps using the HDMI output will fix that in the next release of my firmware.
Good news, everyone! Magic Lantern 0.1.5 partially supports HDMI output, which has the advantage that Canon's software assigns it a higher priority. So you can leave your DP1 and your headphones plugged in all the time to the camera when switching to and from Magic Lantern.
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #89
Major Player

Tramm,
I hope you'll forgive my ignorance of HDMI, but what does "partially supports HDMI output" mean?
Are you able to pass full res output to an HDMI monitor?
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #90
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post
I hope you'll forgive my ignorance of HDMI, but what does "partially supports HDMI output" mean?
Parts of the Magic Lantern interface are off screen on an HDMI monitor (like the left audio level) and the zebras/crop marks do not line up with the correct locations. The next version will have full HDMI support since I have a Small HD DP1 to experiment on.
Quote:
Are you able to pass full res output to an HDMI monitor?
I'm working on it. I can switch it to 1080i for a frame while recording, but the Canon software switches it back immediately on the next frame. This resolution switch is also messing up the functions like zebra stripes that need to overlay the YUV video stream.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD