Stutter / jitters whilst panning - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #16
Wrangler

He did say that it is visible on-camera and in the raw video, so it isn't a Vimeo issue.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I went to my local camera store and did tests one after the other . One with their display camera (old firmware), and one with my camera (new firmware). Same CF card, same lens and same tripod. Still got similar results.

Can anyone post a 'good' and 'smooth' example - just so I know it's possible?

thanks for you help.
cheers
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #18
Trustee

Peter,

Wild guess here - but I've got 2 Manfrotto tripod/head combos and on both I've had 'skipping' or 'slipping' issues that are caused by the set screws underneath the head coming loose. I recently had this with a practically brand new 701HDV head that I use for my 5d.

There are 3 flat-head screws underneath the head (on the cast aluminum portion). I tightened these up and no more skipping. It just happened on certain pans, and tilt angles - certainly not consistently, but hearing you announce when the 'slip' or 'skip' takes place, it seems familiar.
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #19
Regular Crew

thanks for the ideas.

Tripod is fine. Have also tried a handheld pan - same issues.
Also tried the lens twist idea - same issues.

any other ideas?

My next stop is perhaps Canon repairs / warranty - and see what they say.

cheers
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #20
New Boot

Are you reformatting the CF card every time you shoot, or just deleting the old files? I've seen skipping on a card after file deletes, but never on a cleanly formatted card.
Al Bogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Al,
yep - re-formatting (almost) every time.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #22
Major Player

Hi Peter,

I haven't seen in the info you supplied which shutter speed you used. Wrong SS can cause this problem as far as I know from other cameras.

Cheers,

Ofer Levy Photography
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #23
Tourist

I have similar judder issues. I see judder on the cameras screen as well. Unfortunately, I am so new to video I don't know if it's me, the camera or software.
My pan/track judder video is here TrackPan_02 1/60 IS off on Vimeo
Mathew Zucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi everyone,

I don't post that often, but this just happened to me as well. So maybe my own confusion will trigger some brilliant ideas. My setup: 5DII, Nikon manual lenses (50mm f1.4, 105mm 2.5) with adapters. We shot some footage for a feature, hand held on the subway. Got home, looked at the footage and they were quite "jittery"...not just that shaky hand-held look (which is appropriate at times) but disturbingly jittery, almost unusable footage. I did a test at home using the same nikon lenses and a canon lens (IS USM) with the image stabilizer turned on. The difference is staggering. I've been hearing that you have to turn the IS off when shooting on sticks. I'll have to remember that next time I shoot that way. For handheld, I won't shoot without the IS turned on.
Insung Hwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #25
Regular Crew

thanks Ofer. I've tried different shutter speeds, from 30 to 1000 - seems not to make any difference when panning.

Insung - from my experience, anything handheld other than extremely wide angle, needs to to have IS turned ON. The jumpiness you get from a non-IS lens is different to the problems I encounter when moving the camera on a tripod.
cheers
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Sounds to me like this is just the way the camera is, it's got issues with movement because it's not a video camera. I assume it uses some sort of rolling shutter like other CMOS cameras such as EX1 which can have similar issues, and again not being primarily designed for video will have a less good one than the EX and therefore more issues. Most showpiece footage I've seen from the 5D has been static stuff - nice, painterly, super sharp, but static or very slow tracking shots.
I think right from the start people have been expecting too much from these video DSLRs.
Just my thoughts, I admit I've never seen a 5D or any footage from it except on the web.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #27
New Boot

This would be a show-stopper for me if normal panning and tilting is not possible. Can this be the case? many samples posted are fairly static shots.
Paul Campsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Sounds to me like this is just the way the camera is, it's got issues with movement because it's not a video camera. I assume it uses some sort of rolling shutter like other CMOS cameras such as EX1 which can have similar issues, and again not being primarily designed for video will have a less good one than the EX and therefore more issues. Most showpiece footage I've seen from the 5D has been static stuff - nice, painterly, super sharp, but static or very slow tracking shots.
I think right from the start people have been expecting too much from these video DSLRs.
Just my thoughts, I admit I've never seen a 5D or any footage from it except on the web.
Steve
I personally think is less about the rolling shutter and more about the codec encoding, but I'm, no techy.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #29
New Boot

It is possible to do fast pans without skips. I've done many.
Al Bogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #30
Regular Crew

thanks Al - good to hear that at least someone has had some success :)

can you post a short sample somewhere?
cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD