Full HD on HDMI while recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 16th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Wizard Status

Full HD on HDMI while recording

Magic Lantern - 1080i while recording on Vimeo

My most recent hacks allow the camera to remain in full 1080i mode on the HDMI while recording. Once this is a little more polished (and the flashy bugs are worked out) it will be part of the 0.1.7 release of Magic Lantern.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Another great improvement-- nice job Tramm. I hear complaints about this issue quite abit. Time to look for a new small HD monitor...

What is image PAR in your opinion ?
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post

My most recent hacks allow the camera to remain in full 1080i mode on the HDMI while recording. Once this is a little more polished (and the flashy bugs are worked out) it will be part of the 0.1.7 release of Magic Lantern.
Tramm, buddy, you are absolutely my hero! I have been drooling over this idea for a long time now. You just made my month!
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Congratulations! yet again Tramm.

This is great news and I look forward to 0.17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson View Post

Robert Esmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Congratulations. Excellent work Tramm.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Anyone have any conjecture how this could affect 7D in 24p mode? If it's like the 5Dii's HDMI out, it is probably 1080i. I'd guess 23.98 in a 60i container. So, if Lantern works for the 7D, you'd have to remove the pulldown in post to edit native.

At some point, I'd love to see HDMI (interlaced) out lossless vs Camera Native (progressive).

Awesome work Tramm.

You're like Morpheus in Matrix and we're about to see just how deep this rabbit holes goes.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The video is still "double boxed". It's not 1080 from corner to corner. It's really more appropriate for monitoring for critical focus than for recording.
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Jon:

Have you tested it ? I note that setting my cheap HDMI monitor at 4:3 before recording gives me a pretty true representation of the the aspect ratio, and I am wondering if that is what we are going to have to continue to do with it with Tramms work around.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Major Player

Tramm, After your audio mods, this is (for me) the most amazing bit of work I could have hoped for in this camera.

As they say above, you're a hero to the 5D world. Truly amazing and awesome.

Thank you!
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Jon:

Have you tested it ?
No. I haven't tested it. But I can see that it's double-boxed on Tramm's video. It would be nice if your HDMI monitor has a magnify function, so you can fill the screen.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #11
Trustee

i love you Tramm!
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
No. I haven't tested it. But I can see that it's double-boxed on Tramm's video. It would be nice if your HDMI monitor has a magnify function, so you can fill the screen.
Yes it does have a zoom function, and various other settings changing picture, so we will see. It is just a $199 Dynex Best Buy special, but serve purpose as a large monitor. Not sure about technical issue, but I wonder if Tramm can hijack the zoom function to display image and remove that double boxing... I suspect he has more tricks planned as he adjusts.
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #13
Major Player

Tramm,

Great, great work. Do you think that with your new hack a 4x3 or a 16x9 monitor makes more sense?

Also has anyone devised a kind of monitor loupe similar to the Hoodloupe or Z-finder but for small monitors? That would be very cool.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Do you think that with your new hack a 4x3 or a 16x9 monitor makes more sense?
Definitely the 16x9. I'm working on figuring out how to get the image to fill the full screen.
Quote:
Also has anyone devised a kind of monitor loupe similar to the Hoodloupe or Z-finder but for small monitors? That would be very cool.
Terry Gilliam came up with one a few years ago, but I don't think it worked with HDMI:
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post

Dan
Stronger than needed reading glasses magnify and can be used for critical focus. Works especially well if ones minimum close focus distance is more than desirable. (meaning one cant stick his face six inches from the monitor and still see the screen clearly).

I don't wear gasses, but I do keep strong reading glasses on the end of my nose for focus. Allows both normal and magnified view, depending on tilt of the head. Keeps both hands free.
Don Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD