Spank the poop out of color & contrast… at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Spank the poop out of color & contrast…

As a kid I always thought "exaggeration" was a bad word that only my parents and teachers wanted to punish me with. Yet, this bad virtue ended up being my (scarcely) livelihood (music related) and also brought me a few photo/film jobs -- the latest one I even used my dear 5D rig:
Admittedly, DOF is my dope and I like to spank the poop out of color & contrast (guess that's what the civilized people call 'crushed blacks').

-- peer
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I like, especially the narrator. :) good capture on those woosh sounds... what mic was used?
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Trustee

I agree, great narration, great pacing. Nobody loves crushed blacks more than me -- in fact, good to see I'm not the only one. Color grading was maybe a little too much for my taste, but it's very popular these days. Overall, a great piece! Stellar shots, and great sound.

Only one complaint... the cheese-ball LiveType animations. Yeech. What's so wrong with text that just dissolves in? You ever see one of those million dollar Nike commercials with dancing text, or Coke, or McDs, or anything from Oliver Stone for that matter?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't mind crushed blacks sometimes, but I hate the clipped highlights and colors. I think that makes it look much lower quality than it should. Tons of contrast can be added without clipping anything by using an S-curve instead of shifting the end points.
Chris Gotzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalulu Ngilo View Post
I like, especially the narrator. :) good capture on those woosh sounds... what mic was used?
Ha, funny you mentioned it -- I actually recored four different voiceovers (using a Sony PCM D1) but ended up with the non-professional voice of an old friend of mine (KumiMonster is the Fetish Muse - International Fetish Model, KumiMonsters Official Site) that we recorded an early morning after long hours of billiards and beer ;^) The onboard shotgun mic is a tiny nugget from a small German manufacturer, Ambient.

-- peer
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Wrangler

Looks great!
Me want bike.
Old November 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Looks great! Me want bike.
I want bike too... but sadly it's $70k.

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD