I have a question on my lens vignetting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I have a question on my lens vignetting

I have a Vivitar 28~85mm 1:2.8 Zoom Telephoto Nikon AI Lens for my 5D and I'm getting vignetting....can someone tell me why this is?
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know anything about that specific lens, but I do know that the reason why the camera is not correcting for it is because Canon disables auto correct of vignetting for its Canon glass only.
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Major Player

The 5D is full frame, so most wider lenses will show some vignetting. The supposed "peripheral illumination correction" isn't doing much for me. Anyone else finding that this works.

My Canon 16-35 show a fairly strong vignetting at 16mm; of course zooming to 20mm or more takes care of it. The 24 1.4 also vignettes a bit.

Aside from zooming in, stopping down your lens will also likely reduce the vignetting.
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:59 AM   #4
Major Player

my 17-40L shows no vignetting, I don't know about other wides as I do not have any.
Old November 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric for the info.......I'm very new to the whole dslr thing......I played around with it a little and uped the iso and shutter and I see no vignetting.........I'll definitely need to use neutral density filters when using this lens outside.
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD