Follow Focus lens stops..? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Follow Focus lens stops..?

I wonder if this is the only way we can add lens-stops to Canon's L lenses? ZipGear HVX200 with stop - Zacuto

-- peer
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Major Player

I had been looking at all kinds of solutions to this and finally decided its far easier just to use manual lenses like the Zeiss ZE or adapted Contax ones instead for times when you need proper follow focus. They are geared much better for the task too. Still use all my L lenses but not as much now with a FF.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Cinevate Inc.
Cinevate Inc.

These two products are great and reasonably priced.

But if you have the Durus Follow Focus you could use:
Cinevate Inc.
for hard stops.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McDonald View Post
Cinevate Inc.
Cinevate Inc. These two products are great and reasonably priced.
They might be "great and reasonably priced" but I can't see how they add hard stops to an L lens. Am I missing something..?

-- peer
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
I had been looking at all kinds of solutions to this and finally decided its far easier just to use manual lenses like the Zeiss ZE or adapted Contax ones instead for times when you need proper follow focus. They are geared much better for the task too. Still use all my L lenses but not as much now with a FF.

Dan
ZE's still don't have proper (i.e. 32 pitch) gears though. I haven't used the Contax but I think I would have heard if they did! I've used the Redrock and Zacuto versions and they are all a bit frustrating.

But yes, lenses with hard stops are much better than the free-spinners.
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #6
New Boot

I like the gears made by JBK: New Page 1. I have it for my Zeiss ZF and Leica R lenses.

Jerry can custom build extremely robust lens gears starting from $79.00. For hard stops, Redrock Micro also has lens gears similar to Cinevate and others. Outside of that, you may have to rely on FF units with adjustable stops.
Eric Diosay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
I wonder if this is the only way we can add lens-stops to Canon's L lenses?
I'm not sure if you're looking for an alternative solution or an alternative to the HVX version you listed. I did a quick review of Zacuto's zip gears on my L lenses a while back... Zacuto Zip Gear | Paul Joy

regards

Paul.

Old March 5th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Cavision rings or Chrosziel FF

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/627621-REG/Cavision_RFGR63_RFGR63_Follow_Focus_Gear.html
Cavision's follow focus gear rings, at a really really cheap price too.
"The Cavision RFGR63 is a gear ring that can be clamped onto a focus ring, allowing for the use of a follow focus system. This gear ring features TWO HARD STOPS that work with the beginning and ending focus points of the camera lens. This unit is specifically designed for the lenses between 61mm and 65mm."

(other sizes at bhphoto site)

-----------
Another option is the Chrosziel varilock follow focus:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/665957-REG/Chrosziel_AC_206_45S_AC_206_45S_hdSLR_VariLock_Follow.htmlThere are stoppers on the follow focus itself (cant tell from pic, but its behind the follow focus turning part).
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Wrangler

Wow, the Cavision rings are all Fuji (.6) pitch except for the largest which is 32 pitch for standard film gears. Bit of a strange choice.
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #10
Regular Crew

oops,

Oh wow, good catch Charles!

I figured since their FF was cine (0.8), they would sell cine rings too.
Their FF are quite solid btw, but just not well known for some reason (dont own one, but handled one)

-------
I currently use Cinevate's ring. why not just add a zip tie or gaffers tape (same as adding a stopper).
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
I wonder if this is the only way we can add lens-stops to Canon's L lenses? ZipGear HVX200 with stop - Zacuto

-- peer

Does anybody know where you can get those stops with out buying the gears? I already have lens gears and now need the stops.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD