Canon 70-200 2.8 II in stock at B&H - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I'm not surprised. Just as the 85/1.8 and 100/2 are like siblings, the 135/2L and 200/2.8L share the same DNA. I own the 200L and it's wonderful. If the 135L is better, it must be freaking amazing.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #17
Major Player

The 70-200 f/2.8 I is gorgeous but a tad soft wide open (not as sharp as the f/4.0 at equal apertures). Apparently this is one of the things addressed in the Mark II, according to a Canon rep Kevin Shahinian spoke to. That's exciting. Up against primes even the best zooms look soft.

Anyone expect the price to drop a couple hundred in the coming months?
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #18
Regular Crew

"Up against primes even the best zooms look soft."

Not this zoom according to this review. Check it out:

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS Lens Review
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #19
Major Player

I concur with Erik. I have the 70-200 2.8 L IS and my mate has the 70-200 4.0 We've shot the same stuff together with both 5D2s set up identically, and his footage is definitely sharper.

I was surprised at this at first, but have seen it mentioned here a couple of times before.

Maybe the new 2.8 is actually sharper but at that price, I still wouldn't bother to trade 'up'.

Incidentally, while we're talking favourite lenses, I am blown away every time by my 85mm 1.8. Can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about it… luvverlee…

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Yes the 85mm 1.8 is a awesome bargain for the price. The image quality it takes is phenomenal.

@ 1.8

Brant Gajda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
I concur with Erik. I have the 70-200 2.8 L IS and my mate has the 70-200 4.0 We've shot the same stuff together with both 5D2s set up identically, and his footage is definitely sharper.
Is it the new IS version of the 70-200mm f4? I'm considering that lens for video on the 7D. I'd like something lighter than the 2.8.

Maybe you don't have a good copy of the 70-200 2.8IS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post

Incidentally, while we're talking favourite lenses, I am blown away every time by my 85mm 1.8. Can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about it… luvverlee…

Avey
I have an 85mm 1.8 too and I really like it but mine is not a good copy. It's never been quite right on any DSLR I've owned, including the 1DMII.
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #22
Major Player

Just on the topic of "bad copies," this is a very interesting read. It's usually not the glass itself but rather other aspects of manufacture that causes flaws in lenses. Sometimes it's the camera.

LensRentals.com - "This lens is soft" and other FACTS
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #23
Regular Crew

It was an interesting read. This statement sums it up for me:

LensRentals.com - "This lens is soft" and other FACTS

"I believe we now have camera sensors and optical designs that are simply too good for the current standards of mass-production."
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #24
Inner Circle

With all of the pixel peeping, there is not much room for error.

If I am buying a lens, I will pay more to go to a local shop with my camera and a laptop to find a good copy (or at least that goes well with my camera(s)).

The micro adjustment feature helps compared to past models.

Been reading posts about the 70-200 II. It is supposed to be better wide open but $2,500 is a fair amount to pay.

This level of image quality is kind of on the cusp of "normal" people ever even noticing compared to the 70-200 I.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD