Canon 70-200 2.8 II in stock at B&H at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon 70-200 2.8 II in stock at B&H

Looks like it came out early, now if I can justify the $2500 bucks.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-USA/Canon_2751B002_EF_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Major Player

now I would like to see a price drop on the Mark I...
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The original is such a nice lens. The new one must really have some detail.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As I understand it, the AF and IS are the big improvements. Also, it has a closer minimum focus distance. That's what the reps told me at CES anyway. They didn't say anything about improved sharpness.
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Considering how good my original one is, I couldn't justify the upgrade. Now if they updated the 24-70 2.8 with IS, I'd be all over that like a cheap suit. A 100-400L would have been a better upgrade for Canon imo.
Brant Gajda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've had a 70-200mm 2.8 non IS for about six years. It's the best lens I have. I can't imagine anything sharper or faster. I'll be eager to read the hands on reviews of this new one from regular shooters.

I agree the 100-400 (which I also have but never use) is long overdue for an upgrade. They probably upgraded the 70-200 first because it's such a huge seller, especially among those getting their first "real" lens.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I agree. Maybe the sport shooters had some requests over the years as this lens can be seen at every sporting event ever.

The 100-400 is the lens everybody wants upgraded but it will be at a price, sort of like the 70-200IS which gained about $900.

Ths lens is sort of a value long "L" lens. I bet it will cost $2500 when they update it as well.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Major Player

I own the IS version I, and it is an incredible lens, I can't imagine how the new one could be much better... Maybe incrementally, but not enough for me to upgrade that's for sure. The minimum focus distance is the one thing that intrigues me, but not enough to swap out.
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
I own the IS version I, and it is an incredible lens, I can't imagine how the new one could be much better...
Also I got the IS version and I agree -- it's my best L lens. I'm a bit surprised that Canon chose to go this route (i.e., just adding some minor features and jack up the price) rather than introduce a new lens altogether.

-- peer
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I believe that the new lens is a nod to sports shooters. The 1D Mark III was not well received due to auto focus issues. Canon has mended fences with the 1D Mark IV. (At CES I asked the rep about the 1D4 vs. 1D3 for sports and the look on his face said it all.) I believe that the new 70-200 is intended to help place Canon firmly back at the top of the sports photography hill.
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Also I got the IS version and I agree -- it's my best L lens. I'm a bit surprised that Canon chose to go this route (i.e., just adding some minor features and jack up the price) rather than introduce a new lens altogether.

-- peer
On the topic of "my best L lens," for me without question, it's the 135mm f2.0. That thing was sent from GOD, lol.
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
On the topic of "my best L lens," for me without question, it's the 135mm f2.0.
Well, not at 70mm ;^)

-- peer
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Image Stabilizer provides up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths.
Sounds impressive for taking photos! 4 stops is a crazy good stabilizer. For video this is not worth much since the camera is on a tripod to begin with you don't need IS.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Sounds impressive for taking photos! 4 stops is a crazy good stabilizer. For video this is not worth much since the camera is on a tripod to begin with you don't need IS.
Just remember that 4 stops can't "stabilize" a moving subject, an important point for anyone shooting people in critical low ambient light environments where shutter is down below 1/60 or worse (e.g., weddings, jazz, etc.) -- faster lenses come into their own in those environments. Not to say that 4-stops isn't awesome or anything, just saying it doesn't fully make up for a moving subject.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
On the topic of "my best L lens," for me without question, it's the 135mm f2.0. That thing was sent from GOD, lol.
This is the lens I always hear talked about as "the lens". Since I have always been happy with the 70-200 2.8, it is tough for me to buy the 135mm as it is a little too long (even with the 5D) for indoor portaits unless you are shooting tight headshots.

The output I have seen from the 135mm does have a special quality to it.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD