REVISED v.2.0.4 -- Canon 5D Mark II 2.0.4 Firmware (24p) Available - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #46
Inner Circle

I saw somewhere that someone experienced some issues on the sound end. Not sure where yet.
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Hamilton View Post
I would have thought that Canon would have had plenty of time over the past year to test the firmware for possible issues. At least they are working on it and hopefully bringing out any needed updates very soon.
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #48
Regular Crew

There has been reports of the old 'banding problem' returning as well.
Andree Markefors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #49
Major Player

interesting reports of ISO bugs with the new firmware.. can anyone else corroborate?

EOS 5D MKII - Loaded 2.0.3 Manual ISO Not WOrking Even In Manual: Canon EOS-1D / 1Ds / 5D Forum: Digital Photography Review
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
interesting reports of ISO bugs with the new firmware.. can anyone else corroborate?

EOS 5D MKII - Loaded 2.0.3 Manual ISO Not WOrking Even In Manual: Canon EOS-1D / 1Ds / 5D Forum: Digital Photography Review
What do you mean with ISO bug?
Problem with ISO was that operator did have settigs Exposure simulation instead Movie display. That caused camera to use full automatic with video. Instruction manual page 127.
Hannu Korpinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #51
Inner Circle

This is correct. After I installed the new firmware, the camera had reverted to exposure simulation. That will cause an auto mode to occur. Its one of those things we regular video shooters set when we first got the camera, and never touched again.
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
This is correct. After I installed the new firmware, the camera had reverted to exposure simulation. That will cause an auto mode to occur. Its one of those things we regular video shooters set when we first got the camera, and never touched again.
You got me worried for a moment there but I just double checked & my camera did not revert to stills mode & exposure simulation. It stayed on Movie Mode as I set it over a year ago.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #53
Trustee

It seems that the main reason Canon has placed the note is due to problems recording in C1,C2,and C3 (as mentioned earlier).

My cameras happily seem to be working Ok after the download (although extreme hissing even with off-camera mics is bugging me that possibly the firmware made things worse in that respect).

It is amazing how many people found themselves with a dead camera as soon as they downloaded the new firmware, and I feel sorry for anyone who needed the said camera for an important shoot.
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #54
Sponsor: Westside AV

I set the volume to manual set it about 1/3 rd of the way up and in manual mode it does not record audio.

I found this on Canons website:
EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - EOS Digital SLR Cameras - Lenses - Flashes - Wireless File Transmitters - EOS 5D Mark II Firmware Upgrade 2.0.3 - Canon USA Consumer Products

Important Update Information for
Firmware Update Version 2.0.3

We recently discovered a malfunction that occurs with Firmware Version 2.0.3, in which the manual recording levels for C1/C2/C3 are changed and the EOS 5D Mark II digital SLR camera becomes unable to record audio if the power is turned off (or if Auto power off takes effect) after registering "Sound Recording: Manual" in the camera user settings. For customers who have already downloaded and updated to Firmware Update Version 2.0.3, when using the camera with the mode dial set to C1/C2/C3, please set the Sound Recording settings to Auto to record with audio.
We are currently preparing a new firmware that will correct this malfunction and have temporarily disabled the ability to download the current firmware until the issue can be resolved. We will re-enable the download link on our web site and notify you via e-mail when it becomes available. If you have not registered your EOS 5D Mark II, please register so we will be able to notify you.

Canon always strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We appreciate your kind patronage and support.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #55
Trustee

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/fir.../firmware.html

Olof, is your manual recording level not working only when you are in the custom modes? Try setting your camera off C-1,2,3 and see if the manual recording levels will then work correctly. Mine seems to be OK...but I'm getting worried I've missed something important.
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
It is amazing how many people found themselves with a dead camera as soon as they downloaded the new firmware, and I feel sorry for anyone who needed the said camera for an important shoot.
It sounds like a lot of those folks, if not all maybe (?), updated with an incomplete firmware file. Doh! It's not like upgrading firmware isn't a delicate operation where every step counts (or you can brick permanently in some cases), and it's not like the instructions EXPLICITLY said to check the file size (they did, RTFM people) -- although I'd prefer a checksum personally. I mean don't get me wrong, I sympathize with those users, I feel bad and all, but seriously, who updates firmware without making sure the file was complete? That's suicide!
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I actually believe there was one thing left out of Jon Fairhurst's series of tests on 5D sound. He didn't cover the use of a field mixer feeding the 5D through an XLR adapter like the CX231 or the even one of the unpowered Beachteks. In my experience, that combination will get you great in camera sound.
That's true. If you run a powered field mixer with clean preamps and a line level output into a juicedLink or other XLR to mini adapter, you will get great sound. The key is that first stage after the microphone and a nice hot signal into the 5D2 with the 5D2 gain turned down.

I would be less inclined to run the mic into a passive mixer and then to the juicedLink. My preference is to go straight from mic to preamp with as little as possible in between. Once you've brought the signal level up, then the signal path is more forgiving.
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Firmware Update

Olof, is your manual recording level not working only when you are in the custom modes? Try setting your camera off C-1,2,3 and see if the manual recording levels will then work correctly. Mine seems to be OK...but I'm getting worried I've missed something important.
I had no audio at all in the manual mode. I went back in and set it to auto again. And now I get audio like before.

I may try some other things tomorrow, but for now everything is working OK except the manual audio.

It sounds like Canon knows about this and is working on a fix.

BTW, I find the new live histogram very helpful for setting exposure, even if it dissapears after recording starts.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #59
Regular Crew

-----------
Hannu Korpinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #60

Hannu,

On p 131 and 132 it does state you can see the histogram in manual mode.

And it works very nicely for me at least.
Attached Thumbnails
REVISED v.2.0.4 -- Canon 5D Mark II 2.0.4 Firmware (24p) Available-screen-shot-2010-03-18-10.51.12-pm.png   REVISED v.2.0.4 -- Canon 5D Mark II 2.0.4 Firmware (24p) Available-screen-shot-2010-03-18-10.51.30-pm.png  

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD