This camera really gets me energized at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 11th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Major Player

This camera really gets me energized

We shot a new version of a series for a Florida University last month with two Canon 5D Mark II's. I just finished post. We've so far completed about 12 spots with this camera. In this latest commercial, we were so happy with the results.

We've been using Panasonic P2 camcorders - HPX-500 and 2000 for other work, as well as JVC GYHD250's and our work with the Canon 5D so far outclasses these cameras, it's totally awesome. I've been shooting since 1987 and I have not been so excited about a technological advance in a long time. This time it's true. While I have been bitten by a couple of aliasing problems with fine fine patterns in clothing, all in all it's been 98% perfect for me. One of my DP's just got a new adaptor to use his Hasselblad lenes. Can't wait to try those!

YouTube - Canon 5D Commercial Hodges Collier County Sheriff
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty View Post
We've so far completed about 12 spots with this camera. In this latest commercial, we were so happy with the results.
Very nice -- I especially like the light and the different work settings. The things that I'd change -- for my taste, that is -- would be fewer Dutch angle shots and pace the voiceover better -- sounds a bit forced & rushed to me.

But yes, a very professional piece -- good job.

-- peer
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Peer, probably one too many dutch angles. Actually I'd like to see more totally off balance compositions, but I had to press the DP on every shot to make it "wrong". But it does come off as edgy and new. In this series we were trying to use very unconventional angles and editing pacing. Anything that felt too balanced, we would thow it out and try to break the rules. In this way, the series stands out from other perfectly composed, perfectly paced spots. Inspired by the work of Telefilm dk and Volksbank.

My favorite is the wider shots of off camera interviews with no lead room and camera direction opposing the frame!

The other day I had a client in that we were shooting some interviews, he said, I want it centered up, not like those commercials for the college where it's way off to the side...I smiled, he didn't know I created them, knowing that's why he remembered the spot. It's odd, but it does make them different.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD