What is Your Editing Drug of Choice?....for the 5D - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #61
Major Player

Sorry you lost the puppy. That's really tough.
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Simpson View Post
Sorry you lost the puppy. That's really tough.
Thank you soo much. It's been really a ruff weekend and on top of it my Gf and I both had weddings this weekend so she had to shoot a wedding the day after it happened...i'm glad she's so strong... But it really was horrible what happened. I pray no one else ever experiences that!
Ryan McHugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #63
Major Player

Jon,

I'll bring the beer and salsa and chips...

Using the latest greatest Sony Vegas Studio HD 10. I usually will drag media in the form of a Cineform 1920x1080p avi onto the timeline in Vegas Studio. Vegas Studio immediately converts the media to 1920x1080i avi with Upper field first checked or at least that's what it's reporting. Poor ol Cineform gets blamed for it so Cineform very prominently explains this Vegas behavior on their site. Cineform Tech Blog Blog Archive Progressive AVIs in Sony Vegas Pro

I'm getting back into the ol' VirtualDub application for the down sizing part such that I have some control over the process. Then at some point I've got to figure out how to get DVD Architect Studio 5 to render the correct files to disc....
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #64
Major Player

Since all of you are using vegas and cineform, (this might not be the right thread i post this)
Have you guys tried dragging the Neoscene Converted files to Vegas, then drag a h.264 (not converted) to the same timeline?
I see that the quality is much different. Neoscene converted files still tend to show a loss of quality.

You can try it, so I think there has to be a way not to go thru Neoscene conversion. That is why im trying cs5, to see if the DVD quality is way better.

Maybe Vegas will have this feature in the future. So I'd suggest you try FCP or CS5 and see the difference.
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #65
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Thanks for the clarification Bill but I think it doesn't help the topic starter much, his question was if the type of software dictate the quality of the video when handling dslr footage.
if he refers to output quality I think that his 100 dollar pinnacle software can output in practically the same quality as any NLE out there, if his pc is fast enough to handle 2 streams of mpeg4 and if studio 14 allow him to make and deliver his weddings/events without any headache and if that makes him happy then I don't see a reason to upgrade.
if his question would be what NLE will give him the best realtime performance with dslr footage when applying colorcorrection and effects, then studio 14 is not good enough anymore and you need an NLE that like adobe can utilize the hardware in a very good way without transcoding to achieve realtime performance or you need an NLE that uses intermediate codecs that take the compression out of mpeg4 like Canopus, fcp do or with almost any other NLE using cineforms codecs.
I have Vegas 9 Pro but I prefer to use Pinnacle 14 as it edits MOV files right out of the box in full resolution. Vegas makes me go through all types of transcoding hoops, and its output looks no better than Pinnacle's, which is identical to the original files. Whatever extra features other systems have, the speed and ease of Pinnacle outweighs them for me.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD