Question regarding 5d and Marshall Monitor set up - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 26th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #16
Major Player

I see.
I'll be shooting a short film with the Zacto, think that will work with it?
people moving around, cars driving from and away the camera etc...... seems like the best option for shooting outdoors perhaps
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #17
Trustee

Yes, I think it will work well. As others have already stated, the only problem is when you need to shoot a low angle. You have to lay on the ground to see through the viewfinder.

I would recommend starting with a viewfinder (Zacuto, or ?) and then upgrading to a monitor if you feel it's necessary.

Does the 5DM2 play back clips via HDMI? In otherwords, can you play back your last shot via the HDMI output? That would be very useful.

We don't have an HDMI monitor, only a SDI/Composite that we steal from our Steadicam when needed.
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #18
Major Player

Sweet, I think I am sold on the Zacto then....I have a cheap monitor already I could use for low angles or anything crazy and then get the Marshall monitor with peaking later if i need it.

Most of the shots will be on a tripod or job or glidecam (with preset focus)

The Marshall Monitor with peaking sounds really cool, but if the image is larger then I could probably just focus with Zacto no problem from what things sound like.
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #19
Trustee

Also, don't forget you can zoom in on the Canon LCD to really lock in your focus. You can't zoom in while your shooting (too bad), but it really helps to nail focus before you hit the record button.

Also, in addition to the 2.5x Z-FinderPro we bought the Zacuto DSLR Baseplate. DSLR Baseplate

This let's you move very easily from tripod to handheld. It's something you should also consider for your shoot. I assume you have a decent fluid head tripod already. Cheers! :)
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #20
Major Player

Yeah zooming in is a good trick for starting out on.

Does this include the base plate: I thought it did?

Thanks for your help!
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #21
Trustee

Oops! Yes it includes the baseplate. It's a different baseplate. One that doesn't have holes for rods, etc... But it would be a good first solution. Good call.
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #22
Major Player

I think it should go right on a tripod plate, correct?

Thanks!
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #23
Trustee

Yep! That's correct. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD