Best mix of picture profiles/styles for pairing EX1 and 5D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM   #1
New Boot

Best mix of picture profiles/styles for pairing EX1 and 5D?

Our team shoots documentary news overseas with an EX1 as our primary camera and a 5D as our second camera.

I've seen a post on a specific instance of this, but I was wondering if anyone has worked out a good combination of picture profiles / picture styles for pairing the two cameras under a variety of conditions -- outdoor sun/shade, indoor under incandescents, etc. As I try new things, I'll try to add to this thread myself, but I'd love to hear from anyone else using the same gear.

We currently shoot with Doug Jensen's PP on the EX1 and have so far left the 5D as is out of the box. The footage has been reasonably blend-able after fiddling. But our need to turn pieces quickly cuts down on the amount of time we have to tweak in post.

Many thanks.
Erik German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

I posted this a while ago.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ompatible.html

In post 12 I give the PP and 5D settings I use.

I will be posting more I just finished a shoot with both cams, and they match well for me.

I think the most important thing is to match white balance and to knock down the contrast and sat in the 5DmkII.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply. I saw that post earlier, and found it super helpful. I'm hoping we might be able to spur discussion even further, to come up with a systematic set of recommended settings. One quick question on white balancing. On our last shoot we white-balanced the EX1 with a card and then just manually set the 5D's color temp to be the same as the EX1's. The only problem was, the 5D's footage ended up looking quite a bit cooler than the EX. Is this something you've seen, too?
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

I either use the preset in both cameras or I set both to the same white card.

On the Canon I put the white balance controls in "my menu", just dial from there or take a photo of the card and then set it in the custom WB function, I find this to be very fast in the 5D and 7D cams once you get used to it.

I will be posting more "comparos" soon, I just have a lot on my plate right now, but I will soon be editing a piece I shot with both cams.

It is really great to have so many tools at your disposal for such a reasonable price. I am sure there is lots more to come.

I bet we will soon have HDR (High Dynamic Range, multiple exposures for each frame interpolated into 1 frame) capable video cams. Iphone even does this now automatically with the new 4.1 update (for stills that is).
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #5
New Boot

Here's the latest piece we shot using an EX1 and 5D Mark II.

Brazil | Biofuel | Jatropha

The footage isn't always a perfect match, but for a two-person team that has to travel ultra light and work on a news deadline it's a great set-up. If anyone's interested, I'll can post details about the settings we're using.
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik German View Post
Here's the latest piece we shot using an EX1 and 5D Mark II.
Very nice -- the few seconds of footage around 1:58" is just brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

-- peer
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks very much!
Erik German is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD