Defective 'always on' green pixels on LCD display screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Defective 'always on' green pixels on LCD display screen

I recently purchased another Canon 5D Mark II, brand new. I've only used it for about two weeks and something worrying appeared on my LCD screen display whilst out shooting today.

Several green pixels, they look to be defective or 'always on' as usually described have appeared very central to the LCD display. Never seen this before on a DSLR. The images / movies don't appear to be affected at all.

However, it's very distracting and I don't think I could live with it. Makes it hard to focus sometimes as I have to move the camera if my focus point lies near these defective pixels. Wouldn't mind so much if it were one or two, but I can count at least 41 LCD pixels affected in total.

Anyone seen anything like this before, or know a fix?

Old October 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Send it back to Canon for service under warranty. Same thing happened with my T2i. Turnaround was about 2 weeks which I thought was pretty good.
It can all be initiated on their website too and is trackable.
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Did you use any wiewfinder on the camera?
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ivan,

Yes I do, I use the z-finder pro 3 from Zacuto... I know what you're thinking, but I've only just started using it and I'm extra careful to make sure the sun doesn't get in there. The camera is only a few weeks old in any case.

Does it look like sun damage?

Kris
Old October 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes - it looks definitelly like a thermal damage of the polariser - but i am of course not 100% sure.
Just look by the camera of if you don`t see any machanical changes. Its hard to see with the plastic glasscover on - but its possible.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD