Commercial movies made with 5D or 7D - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Hello,

I might be a bit off-topic, but the Norwegian comedy "Dag" (10 episodes) was done entirely on Canon EOS-1D Mark IV. The decision to do so was based on an intensive testing using the 5D Mark II. I haven't found out why the crew chose the 1D Mark IV instead of the 5D Mark IV, but I guess they had particular production needs? I've seen all the episodes on air AND the newly released DVD. It's just great television. I was amazed when I found out that it was done entirely on DSLRs. The picture quality stands out as being very filmic and high quality. In the behind the scenes interviews the DOP, an experienced filmmaker here in Norway, talks very positive about the experiences with the DSLR technology (even if he admits that the technology has quite a few shortcomings).

You'll find info on the DOP here: Pål Bugge Haagenrud - IMDb

I include a link to one of the trailers to this series. But please, this is a dark comedy. You might find some of the clips in this trailer offensive. You're warned. This series has been a huge success. Not once did the DSLR technology stand in the way of the storytelling. I really hope they'll make another series. I've enjoyed this one very much.

YouTube - Dag teaser.mov

Here is a link to an info page about the production. It's in Norwegian, but at least you'll see the camera rig.
Filmet Antonsen med speilrefleks | Journalisten.no

I really enjoy using DSLRs in my work as a creative director. I've done quite a few productions utilizing the Canon 5D Mark II myself the last year. I'm actually doing a documentary using the 5D Mark II right now. I include a link to a short clip from another television documentary I did earlier this year.

Kind regards,
-terje

Last edited by Terje Rian; December 3rd, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Terje Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #32
Major Player

Dag is so sick. I love it. Hope it makes it to the UK.
Thanks for the links. Very useful.
Your work in progress is engaging.
Old December 5th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Richard: Thank you for your kind words. The "new tools" (DSLRs and the new big sensor cameras coming soon) really make it possible for us independent film makers to explore the qualities that's usually associated with more expensive productions... :-) It's very inspiring times for sure. I'm looking forward to next year's NAB to check out all the new gadgets.

No wonder you enjoy the trailer link, being from UK? I must admit that I've quite a few British comedies in my film collection. There's nothing like British comedy :-)

I'll let you know if I hear of any plans of releasing "Dag" in the UK, Richard!

-terje

Last edited by Terje Rian; December 6th, 2010 at 04:18 AM.
Terje Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #34
Major Player

A new feature film 'The Rafters' by director John Carney (Once, Zonad) has wrapped recently. It had been shot with a number of 7D's that had been converted by FGV Schmidle in Germany for PL mounts etc. This movie will certainly be released in cinemas next year.

An image of the set up can be seen here: http://www.vastvalley.com/detail.php...&category_id=2
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Check this out on you tube.
The old trailer was shot with ex3 and sgblade.
The second trailer, the soundtrack(score) and the movie with Canon T2i.
YouTube - rodneycheukalam's Channel
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #36
Inner Circle

I have heard that the subway footage on Black Swan was shot on a 7D in order to be stealthy. I hope to see it this weekend. It's in limited release in major cities right now.
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #37
Major Player

Feature shot on 5dMkII

Shot on 3 x 5DMkII's.
Shown in competition at this year's Tokyo International Film Festival on a 50 ft screen.
Any out-of-focus will become very visible, but apart from that, the image holds up perfectly (projection of an HDCAM tape).
Trailers:
[http://fotofilmvideo.com/Primaria/primaria.html]

IMDb:
[http://pro.imdb.com/title/tt1733317/]

Cheers
Dan.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD