Artistic Lens Flare for Video, Sensor Damage Risks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 26th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Artistic Lens Flare for Video, Sensor Damage Risks

Hi, I was comisiones to shoot a Music Video,
I was told they want a lot of Lens Flares something similar to this

I'm using my 5D MKII to shoot it. I'm a bit concern about sensor damage I would like to know the risk and what to do to avoid or low them. thanks
Andy Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Artistic Lens Flare for Video, Sensor Damage Risks

use a lens flare plug in in post production. If you shoot clean well exposed images in the field you can always make them look washed out, flared, or whatever while editing.
"fixing" flare or exposure is not so simple.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah but it wouldn't look the same as an actual real flare from the situation.

depending on the focal length of your lens, and degree of directness towards the sun, you should be fine to get some slightly lens flare from the sun with out harming your sensor. I just wouldn't shoot with a telephoto lens as that has more magnifying ability and will focus more light on your sensor increasing the odds of damage. I also would try to get the flare that the clients want with out aiming your camera too much at the sun. If possible I might even try to use a light that is color balanced to the sun out of frame aiming at the lens to further protect yourself from sensor damage.
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Beautiful flare can be achieved with any good wide-angle, that is: without the sunshade on it. It will not harm the sensor if you expose correctly. Adding flare in post will never get you the same effect. Want even more flare? Put a dirty finger on the wide-angle's front surface... Take a look at this magnificent double flare on this shot, that I made a few years ago: Concertpix - Internatonal Artists
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD