5D Battery Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Major Player

5D Battery Question

So I'm really close now to being able to purchase a 5D, my question is, will the battery that comes with the camera be enough to handle shooting video exclusively, or do you all recommend a particular extra battery for longer shoots? Also, is there a power adapter available for the 5D so I can just plug into the wall if I'm on an indor set?

I did use the "Search" first but was unable to find the answers I needed.

Thanks for all your help,
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes, the Canon battery will shoot video exclusively if that's what you do (it's what we do). Experience tells me to swap battery each time I swap out a full 32GB card (approx 96 mins of shooting). If you need longer, buy more batteries. I think we are up to 13 or 14 batteries now, only 3 of which are genuine Canon.
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Yes, the Canon battery will shoot video exclusively if that's what you do (it's what we do). Experience tells me to swap battery each time I swap out a full 32GB card (approx 96 mins of shooting). If you need longer, buy more batteries. I think we are up to 13 or 14 batteries now, only 3 of which are genuine Canon.
Thanks so much Dave!

What about a power adapter that plugs into a wall so you dont need any battery for long indoor shoots? Does anything like that exist for the 5D?
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Trustee

In my life, I have had enough trouble with AC power and audio hum that, when possible, I avoid it. In a camera where I can't monitor the audio that the camera is actually recording, that is even more true.

In the old days, a NP-1 battery would get you 20 minutes of time. These days, one of those tiny little Canon batteries will last you for an hour or more, and it's easy to charge and carry a dozen of them.

Furthermore, the 5D is complicated enough to shoot video on. I don't need one more battery door that won't shot and another cable coming from the camera.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Danny,

If you feel you need more battery power you can also add Canon's BG-E6 battery grip. It lets you run two batteries at once or run the camera on 6 AA batteries. There is also a less expensive Chinese one available.

I have one but only use it when I'm using the camera for long time laps sequences because it does make the camera more bulky.

As Mike says it's easy to carry several Canon batteries around and they are quick to change.

Mike, Don't you miss the days of running around with NP-1's jammed in your back pockets?

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

there is a power adapter, and I have used it. Canon labels it the AC-E6 power adapter They label the actual dummy battery that goes in the battery bay DC Coupler DR-E6. Some people are adapting that coupler to other power sources too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...tt=Canon+AC+E6

By the way, no hummm.

However, you may find it as simple and cheaper to buy batteries that are not Canon OEM. They are now available with chips that make them operate the same as Canon originals- for around $15 on ebay. Be sure to get the ones that say they act exactly like original batteries. Others are sold for even cheaper, and will work, but when you start camera with one, you have to accept it use in a query, and once running, camera will not give you a battery condition information.
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Very cool and informative!

Thanks for the info everybody!
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton Molyneux View Post
Mike, Don't you miss the days of running around with NP-1's jammed in your back pockets?
I don't miss NP-1's and I ESPECIALLY don't miss Anton Bauer bricks! Labeled "the brick" because they were the size, weight, and held approximately the same charge as a masonry brick. Ugh.

Danny, LA Color Shop is a sponsor of these forums and sells the "chipped" Canon batteries. They are more expensive than the ebay variety, but it does come with a name behind it and some support. Consider using them.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

"because they were the size, weight, and held approximately the same charge as a masonry brick."

To be my funny quote of the week.....
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
In addition to extra batteries, I'd also recommend getting an extended battery-grip that holds two batteries. There are aftermarket grips that aren't too expensive and work as well as Canon's own -- I got a BG-E6 grip + 2 batteries on eBay for just $80 (incl. ship).

http://www.prophotographygear.com/im...Gripc5d_4.jpeg

-- peer
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I have heard of mixing a info-chipped battery (either canon brand or other decoded battery) with one without info-chip will work with the battery grib. I never tried.

Canon brand LP-E6 is just way too expensive, more like a rip off. We do have the fully decoded battery that runs just like the canon battery.

LP-E6 Fully Decoded Battery for Canon 5D, 7D, 60D | L.A. Color Online

Yeah there're a lot of cheaper ones out in eBay. But there're plenty horrible stories about extra cheap generic batteries.
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:13 AM   #12
Major Player

Re: 5D Battery Question

Here is a good deal on batteries on Amazon I have at least eight of these and rotate them with four charging four in the field. I will be getting more if I get a battery powered monitor.

No problems so far and they last and work just like the Canon batteries.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Those are the generic batteries without the info-chip. It won't report remaining battery level on LCD screen on 5D Mark II. Also can't use the canon charger too. Is that right?
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Those are the generic batteries without the info-chip. It won't report remaining battery level on LCD screen on 5D Mark II. Also can't use the canon charger too. Is that right?
That is totally WRONG! The battery level indicator works and they can be charged with the Canon charger.
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Inner Circle

That's cool. There're some comments on the product page too. Are you using it with 5D Mark II ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD