5D Battery Question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: 5D Battery Question

Yes, I am, as well as two or three Canon batteries, the 1st AC is responsible for the batteries, changing them, recharging them. You cannot tell the difference as they swap them in and out during a shoot.

Last edited by Bill Hamell; February 21st, 2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Deleted duplicate post.
Bill Hamell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:46 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
That's cool. There're some comments on the product page too. Are you using it with 5D Mark II ?
Some comments? Almost every single review there says that they do not charge in the Canon charger or communicate with the camera to show the amount of charge remaining. Bill, I don't think that you linked to the right product as there are batteries for sale on Amazon that are identical to the Canon ones but they certainly don't cost $8.66 each! e.g. these at $32.95

Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:44 AM   #18
Major Player

Not only is that the correct one I ordered two more from them. And to the nay sayers I will pull out my Canon charger and use it! ;)

Edit: I added a photo of one of these batteries chargded in my Canon charger spend more if you wish but they do work.
Attached Thumbnails
5D Battery Question-battery.jpg  

Last edited by Bill Hamell; February 23rd, 2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added photo
Bill Hamell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Trustee

Just to expand the discussion - many, many professional video battery companies have noticed the DSLR trend and are now supplying power options for the DSLR shooter.

For example, the Switronic powerbase 70 is designed to mount between the tripod and DSLR and provides WAY more power than the small internal Canon batteries along with a D-tap for small on-camera eye lights.

And even the venerable Anton Bauer folks have new DSLR friendly power solutions.

Things are changing fast. It's the way of modern life.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:05 PM   #20
Trustee

I ordered two pair of Bill's batteries. I'll be the tie-breaker when they arrive. :-)
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I want to know too!

There're generic batteries that doens't have the info chip. You can use it with 5D mark II but it won't show remaining battery level. Also, it won't be charged using the stock canon charger. Those batteries are very inexpensive. The other with the info-chip will function just like the Canon batteries.

However, that's only 5D mark II and 7D has this restriction. The original 5D (the one with 13 megapixel sensor) will take all generic batteries.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I got two more from ebay the other day. I bought the ones that said 2 decoded batteries. These sold for a about $26.00 a pair with free shipping. (Bill's are $8 and something plus shipping each. They will charge shipping for each battery.) They charge in the Canon charger. I now have 4 chipped ( 1 canon, 3 so called decoded or chipped.) I also have 4 of the undecoded ones which I bought for about $ 6.00 each plus shipping.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I want to know too!

There're generic batteries that doens't have the info chip. You can use it with 5D mark II but it won't show remaining battery level. Also, it won't be charged using the stock canon charger. Those batteries are very inexpensive. The other with the info-chip will function just like the Canon batteries.

However, that's only 5D mark II and 7D has this restriction. The original 5D (the one with 13 megapixel sensor) will take all generic batteries.
Here is an image of the display of my Canon 5D MkII I am using one of the generic batteries, oh look the battery level is displayed! As you can see in the post above it is charded by the Canon charger! Oh my! :)
Attached Thumbnails
5D Battery Question-img_20110223_144500.jpg  
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #24
Major Player

The new batteries arrive just minutes ago, they are not the same as the ones it got before and did NOT work with the Canon charger.

They are of a different manufactiurer, and the lableing is much different. So much for a good thing. :(

Tossed one in an aftermarket charger may guess is it will not show up in the cameras display. :(
Old February 27th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #25
Major Player

I have 2 of those same exact batteries that Bill ordered previously from Amazon and can confirm that they charge via Canon's charger and indicate the battery level on the 5D.

I hope if I need to get more in the future, I can get the chipped ones again.

Oh, beware of those ultra cheap LP-E6 aftermarket chargers. I've had frustrating experiences on both Amazon and eBay.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamell View Post
The new batteries arrive just minutes ago, they are not the same as the ones it got before and did NOT work with the Canon charger.

They are of a different manufactiurer, and the lableing is much different. So much for a good thing. :(

Tossed one in an aftermarket charger may guess is it will not show up in the cameras display. :(
What no photograph to prove what dolts we are for doubting you?:-) Only kidding. There are clearly two grades of 3rd-party battery. Ultra cheap that have no info chip & the more expensive but far cheaper than Canon that do have the info chip. The Amazon listing you linked to doesn't make any claim that they are chipped & all of the reviews state that they are not so I think that you just got lucky & got shipped the wrong batteries first time round.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #27
Major Player

For the record we just got a bunch of these because cold weather, arctic temps just eat these batteries. They cost around $12 each, charge in the Canon charger and have a battery level readout. Haven't got a chance to really assess the most important part though - performance.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD