Canon 50mm 1.4 or Sigma 50mm 1.4 for video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 50mm 1.4 or Sigma 50mm 1.4 for video

My first 5D MK II on its way. I know I know, better late then never. It will be used mainly for video. I'm looking at the Canon 50mm 1.4 and the Sigma 50mm 1.4 I keep hearing the Sigma is built better and has smoother bokeh.

Any feedback/comments before I make a purchase?

regards,
Dave
Dave Luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Canon 50mm 1.4 or Sigma 50mm 1.4 for video

For video use I believe the best 50mm lens is the Zeiss Planar f1.4.
If this is too much then the Sigma is indeed a very nice lens but not that cheap either.
If value for money is what you are looking for, then the Olympus Zuico 50 f1.4 or the Pentax Super Takumar 50 f1.4 are as good (if not better) as the Canon lens with a much better focusing ring. You can find one on ebay for realy cheap.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Spiros!! I've decided to go with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, everything I've read and heard says it's better then the Canon and it also just looks bada$$ on the 5D :)
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Luda View Post
.... I've decided to go with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, everything I've read and heard says it's better then the Canon and it also just looks bada$$ on the 5D :)
I have the Sigma. Yes, it's really a nice lens - both for video and stills - good choice. I find it is usually the lens on my 5D, and I have several other Canon L lenses.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Charles, that is comforting to know after you fork out 500 bones :)
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Although there is a slight price difference
I think the filter size of the Sigma is 77, which makes a difference for me, since my 70-200, 11-16 lenses all have the same. That would end up saving money if that is the scenario
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

No doubt the Sigma is the better lens. Actually the sigma compares to the f1.2 Canon and the Zeiss f1.4 lenses.
It loses from both but only slightly and costs less.
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The Sigma lens arrived today. My 5D doesn't get here until Monday so I tried it on a friends 5D. He has the Canon 50mm 1.4 and the first thing we noticed is the focus ring on the Sigma is much stiffer. I'm rather surprised and thought it would be smoother. I have old low end manual lenses on my Pentax Kx and they are waaaaaaay smoother than this lens.

Did I get a defect? Or is this normal, I notice the Canon wasn't as smooth as I would have thought either but it was way smoother then the Sigma.

Last edited by Dave Luda; April 2nd, 2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Major Player

The focus on my Sigma is stiffer than Canon lenses, but it is smooth. I've never seen it as a problem; I can focus accurately.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yea, I guess I'm just not used to it. All my Pentax lenses and video camera focus rings are buttery smooth, I'm not used to any kind of resistance. Pulling focus during video with this type of lens is a whole different animal.

Also I do realize that it's all about the glass and I will save judgment for when I get my 5D and actually shoot with the lens. The image I saw yesterday was pretty sharp and the bokeh was awesome but I really didn't have much time with it.

thanks!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:57 AM   #11
Trustee

Most of the modern Sigma AF lenses do not have a nice 'feel' in manual focus mode, and the older MF 'pro-level' Sigma Manual focus lenses were much better and higher build quality. The discontinued Sigma 180mm f/2.8 APO Macro is a prime example. However, as you mentioned Dave, the original Pentax SMC-M and SMC-A SLR manual focus lenses all have silky-smooth focus. The medium format 67 and 645 lenses also have wide-rimmed smooth-as-butter MF.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

That's the main reason I mentioned the Olympus and Pentax MF lenses on my first post. Not only they are cheaper but also smoother and I can say that generally they are a better option for video.

Since you have some Pentax lenses I guess you are already using them right?
Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Spiros,

I'm a video camera guy delving into the DSLR video world for the first time. My 5D gets here tomorrow. I've shot some video on my Pentax Kx, the lenses I have for that are the 18-55mm kit lens and two cheap MF lenses I picked up on ebay. A Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 3.5 & SMC M 28mm 2.8

I plan to sell the Pentax Kx, kit lens and the two k-mount lenses. I had not planned to use them on the 5D since I would need an adapter. Do you think I should try these?

W/ the 5D I will have the following lenses. The Sigma for the large glass (less vignetting) and the bokeh, 2 Tamron lenses (1 28-80mm, 1 75-300mm).

I'm going to use this for a focus assist (which should eliminate the smoothness issue):
Follow Focus Assist Band System Best Budget option New - eBay (item 270726946244 end time Apr-27-11 01:40:08 PDT)

I found out it's just a jar opener that can be had at $4 online.

Trudeau Silicone Twist Jar Opener

I gotta do some stuff on the cheap until this camera makes me some $$

-Dave
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Regular Crew

What a cool idea for the cheap follow focus! Here's a youtube video of it in action: YouTube - Focus Assist For Your DSLR - DIY Follow Focus - Quick FX
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Luda View Post
Hey Spiros,

I plan to sell the Pentax Kx, kit lens and the two k-mount lenses. I had not planned to use them on the 5D since I would need an adapter. Do you think I should try these?

W/ the 5D I will have the following lenses. The Sigma for the large glass (less vignetting) and the bokeh, 2 Tamron lenses (1 28-80mm, 1 75-300mm).
Dave, you can use the two MF lenses on your Canon using a cheap adaptor from ebay.
The 28mm being a 2.8 lens will be very usefull as a wide angle even in low light. The Vivitar is also a very good lens and being constant f3.5 it will be a better choice than the Tamron 75-300. Actually both Pentax MF lenses that you have are better than the Tamron lenses that you were planning to use.

The kit pentax lens however is of no use for your 5D so sell that one.

You may as well look for more bargain vintage lenses on ebay. There are several good low cost options out there. Do a search on vintage lenses on this forum you will find lots of info about them.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD