5D footage for broadcast - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 18th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: 5D footage for broadcast

SVT, the Swedish national TV station, is broadcasting DSLR program nearly ones a day. The productions are not small, so it's not about the money... And they have no problem broadcasting the shows, the images looks as clean as on the camera, my editing monitor or on the web...
I think it's funny... Big Hollywood productions are using the camera, etc etc... but still it's some who think they are not "good enough".
It's a TOOL, that you can get shot with that you can't get with other cameras...
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #17
Inner Circle

The BBC is broadcasting the comedy " Shelfstackers", which is shot on DSLRs, although it's on non HD BBC Three. However, even on SD, it doesn't look as good as productions shot on the more expensive cameras.although it does have a shallow DOF.

The Hollywood productions commonly use them as special cameras, eg for confined spaces.There's nothing new in that, they used to use 16mm gun cameras in feature films. The episode of "House" that used them didn't have any cost benefits because of the increased post production costs. However, the extreme shallow DOF suited the claustrophobic story in that episode.

Now the case for using the DSLRs is very much smaller because the cheap large sensor video cameras that have all the connections you need to shoot professional video plus none of the moire and other DSLR arifacts. Someone even filmed in Grand Central Station with a pre production NEX FS 100 without permission.

These cameras can meet the shallow DOF fashion for the broadcasters, without having the issues.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #18
Major Player

Just learn how to transcode your footage before delivery...

When DSLRs came about, but before they were popular, I would flat out lie to people that I had shot on an F900 or F350. What's more shocking is that they usually believed it.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
Just learn how to transcode your footage before delivery...

When DSLRs came about, but before they were popular, I would flat out lie to people that I had shot on an F900 or F350. What's more shocking is that they usually believed it.
Remind me not to hire you to shoot anything I might need.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #20
Inner Circle

The BBC rejected a HD production that had been shot on EX series cameras at 35Mbit/s, they do more than just look at them during quality control. The production company had to re-shoot, they were in breach of contract.

That's not say they never use them, I know DSLRs have been used for car interior shots etc.on BBC dramas.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #21
Tourist

Wasn't an episode of "House" and "24" shot on DSLR?
Adam Duplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Remind me not to hire you to shoot anything I might need.
Amen to that.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #23
Regular Crew

The whole opening for SNL is shot on a 5D Mark II.

And yes, an episode of House was also shot on that camera and broadcast on Fox.
Ryan Czaplinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #24
Major Player

I've shot plenty of 5D and even t2i for broadcast... when the footage is good, they don't ask and I don't tell

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD