NEX-VG20 vs 5DMK2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: NEX-VG20 vs 5DMK2

Can't comment on VG20 video, but I've had my Zeiss C/Y lenses on a Nex 5N and my 5d2, the Nex looked phenomenal. It would make a great B cam to the 5d, so good that I'm getting one instead of another Canon. The 5d2, IMHO, was still superior when viewed on my 42" TV. The 5d2 footage was more detailed and just had more pop, the 5N had that Sony look - reminded me of the Z1u. Since the 5N and the VG20 share the same sensor we can e-speculate that it'll be similar. If you already have manual glass and separate audio, the 5N is an incredible buy for a stealth or B cam solution.

The VG cams really don't make sense to me, no XLR, no ND filters, no anything to make it a compelling choice for a $2000 video camera other than a traditional video camera form factor - which I do like, but not enough to justify spending 3 times what the 5N costs. You can pimp a 5N with an EVF, a zoom H1 and some nice glass for the cost of a VG20, and the 5N makes a great walk around camera for stills or video. Sony did a nice job of boosting the dynamic range of the 5N over the first gen NEX, the low light performance from such a small package is unmatched.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
the camera simply cannot do the math and crunch all the numbers required to compress the image further while still maintaining a decent image.
The higher bitrate on the Canon's is not a positive; it is a negative, because it is a compensation for poor encoding quality.
Still the compression on the DSLR's is pretty good. The sony hx9v does way worse and it has avchd at 28mbps for 1080p. It frankly sucks compared to my 7d. Breaks up in even moderate motion into chunks of blocks. Compared to the Canon which handles motion pretty damn well.
Mikko Topponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #18
Inner Circle

That's the thing about a higher bitrate, simpler coder. It relies less on motion estimation and more on raw bits, so it doesn't go bad when the scene goes beyond the reach of the motion vector search algorithm.
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #19
New Boot

Hello!

Bit rates and codec aside, you still can't discount the fact that there's a wopping great 35mm full frame sensor in the 5d. Add to that an L class f/2.8 lens and it's pretty much unparalleled for the price point.

...and yes, auto ISO will help you out in extreme light changing conditions.
Mark Ormesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #20
New Boot

I've now shot professional stuff with the Red ONE, Epic, SI 2K, 5DMKII, F900, AF100 and quite a few other cams - including a few hundred hours on the T2i which out-performs the 5DmkII in post, IMHFO.
My current preferred camera has been the Sony SLT-A55. I think the codec is a nice balance between professional and prosumer, and being able to jam the cam up to my eye and monitor with near-precision focus has saved me a lot of hassle in the field. Autofocus has saved my bacon at events, weddings, and in documentary and journalistic work.
The A55 performs very well in both low light and in cinema-lit situations. I generally don't need to build a LUT for stuff, I just want t to look nice in-camera and also provide enough wiggle room for my post-process. In this, the A55 performs better than the 5DmkII and I don't need the horsepower to work with RedCode. I see where the high-end cameras like the Alexa is going. I don't need that level of performance, and my clients are not paying for that . . . or for an AC, DIT, and a support crew.
I'm hoping that Canon's announcement is something great for the lower-end professional space, but my guess is that it isn't. I'm not going to buy a 5dmkIII - I want something outside of the Canon current box. The t3i was nice, but not a game changer.
I'm actually quite happy with the dof and performance of the small sensor. I'll probably buy a NEX VG-20 or the NEX-FS100. Lenses are getting so good for the APS-C - definitely exceeding micro 4/3 and cost to performance ratio is awesome.
Anyway, just thought I would chie in on this forum. Thanks for your posts and collaboration.
Matthew Galvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:46 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I think with a SLR type of camera you basically must use a monopod or tripod to shoot acceptable footage. With a video cam in particular with the top handle on vg20 it is feasible to shoot some handheld footage. In particular if you plan on some panning. With no pan it might be ok to hold a SLR as well.

Thats at least my experience

Ciao
Andreas
Andreas Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:53 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I am about to shoot my first little film with the VG20. I have a 5D. I am beginning to believe that in many situations, the VG20 will beat the 5D.

Here is a look at charts I shot with the two. You be the judge:

Also here is a low light test I did with the two:

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD