couple of questions about Mk.III Lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 28th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: couple of questions about Mk.III Lens

i have the excellent 24-105, but recently used the 35 2.0 to film a Kung Fu class. I had it set up on a 5D mkii, Cavision rig with FF and a monopod screwed into the bottom, a smallHD DP6, a Singh Ray variable ND, a Rode video mic pro and a Zoom H4.
I really enjoyed this set up!!!! the 35 2.0 is nice and light. the 24-105 with all the other gear would have been really taxing, and i doubt the zoom would have been used that much anyway. the 2.0 allowed me to get really creative with DOF (deep and shallow) and i am really happy with the images i captured. the monopod was a great addition! i could brace it on my belt or leg with the rig on my shoulder, and it was rock solid. the shoulder unit alone is so front heavy that it can be really tiring, but with the monopod, i could shoot for hours. and i could lift the camera high above my head, gripping the monopod or bracing it on my chest. i think i have found my perfect run and gun set up. it was very stable, versatile and easy to get really creative!
anyway, long story short, i found the cheap 35 2.0 lens great to shoot with, and did not miss zoom at all. i would highly recommend it in addition to the 24-105. that is, if you can't afford the 1.4...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #17
Trustee

I don't see any need for IS function in wide lenses, so much prefer the 16-35mm L or 17-35mm L f/2.8 lenses for ultra-wide settings, and the 24-70 f/2.8 L for most normal wide work (the latter is a fantastic lens to work with and in my opinion it is a far better lens than the 24-105mm).
The IS can be of benefit at the 105mm end, but if you are going to use that medium telephoto lens setting a lot in your filming, I think the 100mm L Macro Is is a far better option and also has a better image stabilizer.
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Major Player

Do I recall correctly that a "II" version of the 35 f/1.4L is in the works?
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #19
Trustee

EF 35 f/1.4L II
Canon filed a patent back in 2011, so yes, it will eventually be produced, but not for a while yet I think.

Canon filed patent for EF 35 f/1.4L II

Patent Publication No. US 7,944,625
Published 2011.5.17
Filled 2009.8.5

Specifications

Focal Distance: 34.59
Fno: 1.45
Half angle of view: 32.02
Image Height: 21.64
Lens Length (mm): 126.93
Back Focus (mm): 37.98

Here are the actual inner glass elements of the lens in the patent:
Attached Images

Old May 28th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Currently, the exchange rate is poor for buying Japanese products. (They're either priced high or the margins are really thin for the manufacturer.) Lately, that means that new Canon models (Extenders III, 5D3, 24-70L, 24/2.8 IS, 28/2.8 IS) are priced much higher than the previous models. The trend is making the "wait for the new model" thing less appealing.

The 35L currently goes for $1,380 - $1,500, new. I'd guess that the new model (when/if introduced) would go for closer to $2K. That makes a used 35L I look pretty appealing.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #21
Major Player

Well I bought the camera with the kit lens and I like it. The only thing is that I can hear the autofocus when I am using the internal mic. I got also a Zacuto viewfinder and ND fader from LCW. Getting used to the menu is proving difficult, but I will get there! Trying to find a workflow that will allow me to use ISO, aperture fast. And you can use autofocus while filming!! I thought you couldn't do that.

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
I shot at f4 1/50 at 8000 ISO and it was clean and clear. It felt like shooting with the 50 1.4 but with about 8 ft more DOF and the ability to reframe... I am hooked. This camera is as much a revolution as the mkII was.
BIll
Were you shooting with a flash?
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Major Player

Maurice, I don't do photography at all, but the DJ kept turning off my lighting so I had an issue with light and it soaked it right up. Now, I've had some experience since then where 8000 at f/4 didn't cut it, but it is truly remarkable.
Bill
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Here's what I am using on the 5D MIII for video:

-Kit lens, 24-105mm L IS
-Rokinon 35mm 1.4 manual lens

I am liking the 24-105, and the IS is needed for handheld, but not a miracle worker. It helps, but my handheld shots still look handheld. Just smooths the bumps some. I find that I am really wanting something longer and tighter... the 70-200 would probably be that lens. Maybe later I can afford it. For 90% of the shots, I have a variable ND filter attached to do quick iris changes. It also allows for more wide open f4 work but I am finding that I hunt for focus and the LCD is not sharp enough to critically judge focus while recording.

If anything, I am struggling with focus on the 5D with the EF lenses. In practical terms, that means I am closing the iris to maximize depth of field. I am finding that run and gun work is requiring f8 and higher so that I can have some latitude with focus.

Now, my Rokinon 35mm f1.4 lens. It is awesome. $400 bucks I think I paid. So worth it. It is manual, which I prefer over the EOS lens for video. I did a shoot last night in almost pitch black, could barely see with my eyes and punched the ISO all the way up on the 5DMIII. I was able to get a shot with that lens that no other video camera that I use (EX3, HDX900, etc.) could match. Yes, there was noise but it was so much more usable than a standard videocamera gained up to, say, 30db. Awesome. Dialed back the ISO to around 8000-10000 and had very acceptable video noise. The depth of field at 1.4 is so incredibly tight, that it makes life very difficult to focus properly. Especially in the dark, you really spend most of your time judging focus in the little LCD. But, it is awesome, too.

I really want a zoom lens that mirrors a broadcast lens spec, like the new Canon and Fujinon PL mounts. However, $40k is not an option for me. Will make do with EF lenses for now.

If I were to buy another lens, I would probably try the 70-200 f2.8. Maybe experiment with some wider lens options like a 16mm.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #25
Major Player

The range would be great on the 70-200 mm f/2.8 but, I think that you might come out better using a fixed lens for video. I'm new to Canon but, if you can find a 200 mm f/2.8, that would probably give even better footage.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I owned the 200/2.8L II and have the 70-200/2.8L IS II at work. I use both on a tripod. Both lenses are awesome optically.

The advantages of the 200/2.8L II are low cost, small size, low weight, and stealth. But without IS, you need a REALLY good tripod setup. Any little wiggle is seen in the image. Of course, you could stabilize in post.

I'd rather have the 135/2L as it's faster, less sensitive to vibration, and is a more useful focal length for me.

The advantages of the 70-200/2.8L IS II is that it has a zoom range, the optics are as good as the 200/2.8L prime, and the IS removes micro-vibrations wonderfully. It makes the camerawork invisible. The downsides are that it's expensive, large, heavy, and flashy. I wouldn't want to shoot long takes handheld with it. Give me a monopod at the least.

My personal lens in this range is the 100/2.8L IS Macro. Unlike the 24-105, it provides f/2.8 speed. It has hybrid IS, which works great. It's a comfortable size, weight, and color. It's relatively affordable. Not to mention that you'll never run into a minimum focus distance limitation with it!.

But if you have the cash, will use a tripod/monopod, and don't mind the size/weight/flashiness, the 70-200L IS II is a fantastic lens. If it were smaller, lighter, and black, it would be ideal. :)
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I use the 24-70 f2.8L quite a bit--that's a nice versatile lens. Also the 70-200 f2.8 and 135 f2 are real beauties.
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD