Lens colours and contrast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 10th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Lens colours and contrast

HI. Maybe you guys can help me with a little thing.

I'm testing settings on two 5D3s next to each other on a glidetrack shooting the same stuff at exactly the same settings and one is (ever so slightly) more contrasty and warmer than the other.

One is shooting with the 50mm 1.4 and the other with the 85mm 1.8

I'm guessing this is the reason but I figured that more experienced people than I might have a good explanation. The difference is absolutely minute so it's not a problem, I would just like to enhance my education on this matter of lenses.

Thanks in advance
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Lens colours and contrast

The coatings might be slightly different between those lenses. The 85 was introduced in 1992 and the 50 in 1993, so it's unlikely that there was a big change in the formula in that exact year. Then again, maybe your lenses have very different date codes. In that case the formula might have changed or there might be aging involved.

What was the aperture in those shots? If near wide open, the lenses will show variation due to the different glass. If stopped way down, the aperture opening can vary slightly even on the same lens from shot to shot as the aperture closes slightly differently each time. If around f/5.6 or f/8, you'll see the least variation due to glass (open) and aperture (closed). In this case, it would come mostly down to the coatings.
Old September 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Lens colours and contrast

Thanks Jon Good thinking.

Both at 4.5

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD