Is there a cheap loupe for the 5D3 yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 14th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Is there a cheap loupe for the 5D3 yet?

I have been very happy with my cheap GGS loupe as an alternative to a Zacuto Z-finder for the 5D2 but unfortunately because of the larger screen on the 5D3 if I stick on a GGS frame I would obscure part of the image. Zacuto have finally produced a frame of the correct size for the Z-Finder but I am reluctant to stump up 10X the price of my old loupe. Does anyone have any suggestions for an affordable loupe for the 5D3 (don't say Hoodman - I have one it's horrible).
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Is there a cheap loupe for the 5D3 yet?

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Kinotehnik LCDVF and used it on a shoot last week and it seems to work well, though I have no basis for comparison as it's the only one I've used. Reasonably priced and quick delivery from Europe to Australia.

Kinotehnik - LCDVF Overview
Stevan Ostojic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks, that is a very good suggestion. I do have a genuine V1 LCDVFs in fact two as they revised the design & shipped another loupe to the early purchasers/beta testers as a 'Thank you' for having been so patient waiting for delivery when they started production. It is nicely made & optically excellent but because of the lack of dioptre adjustment I could never get on with it either with glasses or without nor with contacts or without. I see that the new version that fits on a 5D3 does have a dioptre adjustment so it's worth trying one for €119.
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Major Player

have one of these for my t3i, should also work with the 5d3 according to the info here:

New Gear – Swivi LCD View Finder CheesyCam

solid construction and stays attached to the camera.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Like you, I was in two minds to buy into the cheaper option. But I arrived at the decision that I couldn't compromise on critical focus and a decent way to line up the shot with something that wouldn't break easily and would do the best job possible and would have the support behind it for being future-proof. So I've never regretted the decision to go with the Z-Finder pro a few years back.

After recently upgrading it with a Zacuto EVF flip, it has been a godsend. I don't know how I managed without the EVF (of course I did), but it's superb being able to monitor without being stuck behind the camera.

Bought the EVF mainly because of the Kessler crane though - It was such a pain in the bum trying to cram my head between the Z-finder and the crane's front crossbar to line up a shot. The EVF will make life a lot easier.

The Z-finder is just bulletproof. I've lost count how many times its been dropped on concrete from a height and still comes up smiling.

What you could consider is bite the bullet and go for the Zacuto EVF if the budget can stretch to it. There are deals to be had if you buy the two as one together. I just can't recommend this kit highly enough.
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Kris, I don't want or need an EVF. I have a long HDMI cable & £100 10" monitor for when the camera is on a big jib or on a pan & tilt head up high on a lighting stand. For regular handheld/monopod/tripod use an EVF is just more clutter to be avoided. I do own a Cineroid EVF but never use it for this reason. I want the loupe so that it's easier to see the screen without putting on my reading glasses but most importantly it gives me that extra point of contact & stability when using it handheld or on a monopod (I never use a shoulder rig with the 5D3 as again it's just more junk & clutter.

I am not denying the quality of the Z-Finder but as the £40 GGS loupe works perfectly well on the 5D2 I was looking for something similar for the 5D3. Zacuto still don't have a frame for the Gorilla plate to use it with the battery pack. A colleague & I compared his Z-Finder to my cheapo loupe & in use they are pretty comparable in terms of clarity of optics & aiding accurate framing & focusing.
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Major Player

I have the Zacuto version before they brought out the Gorilla Plate. One thing thats alway annoyed me (apart from the price - try getting the antifog inserts from the USA!) was the ease with which the viewfinder can become detatched from the stickon frame on the camera, and this seems to have carried over to the Gorilla version as well. For safety I would alwaya keep the lanyard on the Zacuto and attach the lanyard in turn to the camera body or whatever. Likewise the rubber eyepiece can easily become dislodged and lost in the heat of battle so I have mine secured to the lanyard by means of one of those electric wire plastic ties through a hole in the rubber. Not great.

I agree the Hoodman is horrid. I got a silly overpriced bracket from Redrock to secure mine vias the tripod screw.

The new viewfinder George has linked to looks very promising. At that price its worth a punt and I ordered a few days ago. They do ship to the UK and they don't add tax.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

They don't add tax because Estonia is in the European Union.
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Kris, I don't want or need an EVF. I have a long HDMI cable & £100 10" monitor for when the camera is on a big jib or on a pan & tilt head up high on a lighting stand.
I see, but how does that work in the sun or bright outdoor light? I have a 7" monitor and a homemade hood for it, but even so, I find it immensely frustrating to use on a sunny day. That's what I used to track a shot with my crane before the EVF. Also in terms of accurate colour representation too, what I see in the EVF I know I'm going to have when I sit at the edit suite.

The EVF just eliminates that and I find it so easy to use. Especially with the crane, I like to be in control at the front and hitching around a 7' monitor in one hand and guiding the crane in the other was just not an option.

I concur with Peter on the annoyance of the rubber eyepiece on the z-finder pro. It has dislodged itself many times with me too, I guess I just got used to it.

Although they gave me a spare antifog insert when I purchased my z-finder, I haven't lost the first one yet. Peter lost both?
Old September 17th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #10
Major Player

Although they gave me a spare antifog insert when I purchased my z-finder, I haven't lost the first one yet. Peter lost both?

They didn't do antifog inserts when I purchased mine :- ( Apparently it didn't occur to the mighty Zacuto that fogging would be an issue when they first made these viewfinders.

I had to buy direct from the States and that cost $93.80 of which $59.80 was apparently shipping. All that on top of the actual unit. At that point I resolved that I would do anything possible to avoid purchasing anything more from them. Taking the p--s or what!

I may sell the Zacuto once the Swivi turns up, it seems to be a better thought out product anyway:

Carry Speed VF-3 Universal LCD View Finder by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store

Nigel, not sure where Estonia came from. My transaction was all USA based, perhaps they have other arrangement for selling the 2nd wave as the 1st wave sold out on day one.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Even on a sunny day with my 10" monitor I can usually find enough shade to view it. I would only use it for framing the shot anyway as it's not really good enough to rely on for exposure other than ensuring it's not completely blown out. I would sort out exposure before puting the camera out of reach. I suppose that I could use my Cineroid instead on the end of the HDMI cable but I definitely don't like having an EVF on the camera.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD