Bricked & Repaired at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 14th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Bricked & Repaired

A number of days ago, we were shooting RAW with the 5D2. At the end of one shot there was an error and it locked up. After that, it wouldn't boot - even after removing the main battery and clock battery for an extended period.

Searching the web, it seems that this has happened to some number of 5D2s out there. They weren't necessarily running ML, but they locked up and wouldn't boot.

I bought my camera in 2008, so it was from an early run. I worked with Trammell Hudson on the very first alpha versions of Magic Lantern, using my camera to verify the audio features. I've taken it to a number of foreign countries, applied most every version of Canon firmware and many ML versions, and we had been shooting RAW for a few weeks, including a couple full-day shoots. The camera has been well exercised.

Anyway, the mainboard had died. Replacement through Canon service was about $670. There's no way to know if ML was a contributor or not. We will still shoot ML RAW but will plan to really fine tune our procedures so we turn it on, load ML, set up with a quick check list, shoot, shut down, and remove the battery. Bam, bam, bam. We'll avoid having the camera sit there monitoring the image in RAW mode. We really want the feature, we don't know if it contributed, and we will minimize the risk.

Anyway, Canon service was straightforward, though a bit quirky. We signed up here:
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office

We got our number assigned, printed the mailing label, and sent the Camera by Fed Ex. A few days later, we got an e-mail asking for initial, out-of-warranty payment of about $250. Unfortunately, there's no e-mail confirmation. (Canon - this would be an improvement.) I printed the confirmation web page. I waited a few days. I then checked the status on the web. It said I hadn't paid and it was late evening, so I paid again(!) I was worried that there would be a delay. The next day, Canon called me for confirmation for the full amount. They had received the original payment, which they had rescinded. (I'll be checking my account to make sure I wasn't over-billed.) Maybe I had checked status between the rescinding and the ask for the full amount.

So, the process could have been a bit smoother, but it seems that there were no unexpected delays and in the end I'm sure that I'll pay the agreed amount.

And I'm looking forward to shooting more RAW video. It's gorgeous!
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Bricked & Repaired

Jon, I've been shooting a little RAW with the 5DII - and I really love it. But this has been to learn the work flow; my intent is to shortly move to RAW with my 5DIII. Have you heard of any fried 5DIII's that might be attributed to ML?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Bricked & Repaired

Haven't heard of any but I haven't been looking for that either.

On my camera, there was no event that seemed to cause it. It wasn't all that hot. We had been rolling for a minute or so when it locked up after more than a half day of shooting. (Not continuous shooting for sure. It's narrative style with setups, takes, and cuts.)

Anyway, like I mention above, we plan to really bake down the process with a checklist, leaving the camera on for the minimum possible time. That will help us avoid heat soak.

Best of luck with your RAW shooting. For our greenscreen work, the results rock!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD