70D vs 6D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 31st, 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Major Player

70D vs 6D

I'm a little ways off from getting a new camera but I think I've narrowed it down to these two cameras. I've had many tell me the 70D is great for video and the autofocus feature is amazing. I would love the low light abilities of the 6D. Just a few questions?

Are there newer models of these cameras coming out soon? If so, does that drop the price of it's predecessor?

Is a full frame camera that much better than a crop sensor?

EDIT: I guess I should tell you what I'll be doing with the camera. I'm doing corporate videos, less run and gun stuff but I will be doing more of that in the future. I do shoot stills with it (often times in my low light church). Again I shoot with the T3i in the church and have to work around the low light a lot, but I manage.
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 70D vs 6D

Hey Brock,

I own both the 70D and the 6D, both are really great cameras! The 6D handles the low light a bit better then the 70D, but depending on what lenses you are using this may not be an issue. You have to decide what your main pulling feature is when it comes to choosing one over the other. The 70D's auto focus system works really great, better then I expected. I also find myself missing the flip out LCD on the 6D, its a convenient feature to have on the 70D. When it comes to pricing, you do pay a lot more for the 6D so you should take that into consideration as well.

If you have any specific questions about either camera I'd be happy to answer them the best I can :)
Derek Neustaeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:15 AM   #3
Major Player

If you plan to do run and gun, I personally think the 70d is the way to go. It is much more versatile, with less need for add-ons like monitor and follow focus.
I have a 5dmii with magic lantern, but the 70d is now my A camera for video. Even if the image from the 6d is better than the 70d, if it is not in focus it is useless... I also have a T3i, and the image from the 70d is much better, especially in low light.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Trustee

I think it should depend on what you are already shooting with.

Really the only reason to get the 70D is the autofocus and flip out touch screen. It's great. In all other ways, I understand that the 6D is superior (from a review: "The 6D has excellent image quality 1.3 f-stops higher ISO than the 70D"). If you already have a great (or two great) low light cameras, then obviously you don't have to worry about it, and can get the 70D...

Canon 6D vs 70D - Our Analysis
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Major Player

I currently shoot with a T3i
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Faced with your 2 options, I'd go with 70D. I've had the 6D and from a video point of view, more often than not, the focus gets in the way, due to it's full frame sensor we have to deal with much shallower depth of field. The low light capability of 6D is indeed impressive but as others have pointed out, an out of focus image would be useless.
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have the 70D and the 5D MK III and gprefer the 5D MK III for stills, but the 70D is my choice for video. This is because of the flip-out LCD and the auto-focus. I mostly film wildlife and prefer the aps-c sensor to full frame for video for that purpose, but there are types of shooting in which I would prefer full frame. It would be great iIf Canon would put these features on the next generation of the 6D and 5D. They likely will give us the auto-focus, but I am not as optimistic about them putting the flip-out LCD on that type of camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD