Dust on lense at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dust on lense

Minor problem. I use a UV filter like everyone else but somehow I acheived depositing 2-3 small dust particles to the camera lense.

The particles are visible to the naked eye but are not visible upon video output.

I know about lense paper and air brushes ect., but I wanted to get some suggestions before I begin this most delicate procedure.

Thanks
Alex Geschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 12:08 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Blow real hard, once or twice, take a look, and blow one more time for good measure. Then, with a lens cleaning cloth in one hand, and the cam in your other, breathe hard to fog it up a bit---if you're over .07, all the better. Finally wipe gently a few times so it becomes crystal clean. Now screw the filter back on. (Make sure you follow this procedure on the inside of the filter just before you do the lens.) Lastly, clean the outside of the filter using this time honored technique.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 12:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If after you try Frank's techiques, and they are still there... call Canon Service Center.

Thanx,
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 04:19 AM   #4
Wrangler

When you blow real hard you also send out some spit, not great for lenses. If you are fussy about that sort of thing, better to use compressed air (or other suitable gas) in a can, sold at most good photo shops for that specific purpose.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 04:32 AM   #5
Old Boot

Anybody suggesting a "wet" opthalmic lens cleaner here? - If it works for my spectacles, will it work/benefit from such a solution? Any drawbacks?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

this is my 2 cents:

get yourself a mini lens pen (brush), canned air or a hama air bulb, peca pads or opticlear cloth & formula mc (cleaner). you can find most of this @ http://www.2filters.com/.

try to blow out as many particles as possible. follow this by brushing the lens area in a circular motion. apply a small amount of formula mc on a cloth and in a circular motion clean it from center to edge and it will be good as new!

good luck.
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:21 PM   #7
High School Student

I've been using these eye glasses pad cleaner things to clean my lens...they work pretty well.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:35 PM   #8
Outer Circle

I didn't say spit when you blow. :)

Don't just put a cleaning cloth to the lens, because with rubbing, the particles might scratch the lens. If you're not heavy winding, to put this time honored technique to good use, do use a bulb/brush thingy, or a can of compressed air---then apply the lens cloth or lens tissue (gently). However, if you're using a can, keep this can of compressed air well away from your precious lens.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have an LCD cleaning clothe that is used for getting finger prints off of the LCD screen. One day I tried it on one of my older cameras just to experiment and see if it would get the job done and it worked great.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:32 PM   #10
Wrangler

An issue with generic glass cleaning solutions and cloth or tissue is that they may harm the coating on a lens or leave a residue. Best to only use materials intended for photographics lenses. As noted clean of fhe big chunks first using a lens brush or clean, dry air. Use solution only as a last resort.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders