GL-2 vs. VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 19th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL-2 vs. VX2000

Hey guys, I'm going to purchase a new camera, it's going to be either the GL-2 or the VX2000. Please let me know which you all think would be better. Thanks,
Josh M.
Josh Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #2
Outer Circle

To help you decide, go have a look at both cams. Also, see if you can hook them up to a large screen S-video TV to compare their video. (I think they are both good.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Personally, the only advantage I could find was the low light on the Sony. The audio control, cleaner audio, extra zoom, and handling feel, turned the scales to the GL2 for me. The only way to decide is get your hands on both. Both are good cameras.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I know the VX2000 is better in low light but how much better very noticable or not really? What I really want to know is which is going to give me the best picture quality? Thanks,
Josh M.
Josh Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Josh,
These cameras have more commonalities than differences. Both produce excellent "picture quality". The end results with either will depend more on your skills than on the camera. If you plan to shoot mainly unlit candid subjects often in dark locations you may find the VX a slightly better choice. Otherwise the GL2 may be the better choice and is what I personally chose.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Josh what type of filming will you be doing? I shoot skate films which are mostly done at night...and I sure wish I had a VX2000 at times. Even in the day when we are shooting with two cameras, one being my GL and the other being my friends VX2000, any "action" footage is much sharper with his VX. It just has a crisp look. but at the same time we also use the cams at gatherings...for example parties, road trips, and just everyday footage and I prefer the warmer colors that are produced from my GL. Also how the cam feels in your hand is a HUGE factor on which cam you decide to get. The on-handle controls on the GL are AWESOME.....
either way I can't see you being dissapointed with either. they are both great cams.
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I owned two XM2 (PAL version) and both had to be returned due to fualts. On the third attempt I went for the VX2000 and I'm so glad I did. The low light performance is so much better than the XM2 and although the VX is heavier I find it easier to hold and shoot with. In the end it's down to which suits you best, but if you're going to be doing anything in low light really think hard about getting the sony.
Will Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I've tested the XM2 (the PAL version of the GL2) right alongside the VX2000 and it's consistantly working a stop and a half wider, whatever the lighting. That should tell you a lot about the low light mastery of the Sony.

Go for the GL2 if you really fancy using it as a digital still camera Josh, otherwise keep to the VX2k. Side by side they look like competitors, don't they? Well they're not - the GL is niched between the XL1s and the toy-town cams, and I'd rate it as a TRV950 competitor much more than a VX2000 one.

GL2 has only one ND filter. It's f1.6 to f2.9 as against the Sony's f1.6 to f2.4. The GL2 has separate audio input level controls but I'd find that a right pain out in the field - there's enough to do without fiddling with independent controls. It has no zoom ring, no info lithiums.

It has some very good points though. Canon make great lenses and don't feel the need to buy in the word Zeiss. It's a newer model and that brings with it hidden benefits - maybe it uses less power or the side screen is better in daylight? We've yet to find out. But it has 1/4" chips (DOF's too great) and sees less well in the dark, that's for sure.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders