Is it okay to reuse mini DV tapes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 7th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Is it okay to reuse mini DV tapes?

if i stripe them?
Rohit Colin Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #2
Trustee

As a general rule of thumb, many people only reuse tapes if it for non-essential shooting. For paying clients etc a fresh tape is recommended.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 08:44 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Striping and re-using tapes are mutually exclusive topics. Do a Search on reusing tapes and you'll find many opinions, as this is a well-worn topic.

Basically, use new tapes for important work. They're relatively inexpensive. You can reuse tape at least a few times before they may pose a head or performance hazard.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 04:34 AM   #4
Wrangler

Tape is cheap, much less than $5/hour of real (not reel) time.

Talent and crew time is not cheap, if a retake is needed, and many of life's events are one time deals.

That said, tape should be OK for many reuses, but there is some risk of added drop outs, etc as tape is used more often. To minimize risk, avoid reusing tape
Old July 9th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

for the price of DV, go ahead and label and file all your old video. Be sure to label as I have taped over old tapes erasing footage I will never be able to get again. I use shoe boxes and small 1x1 inch tabs to label......
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Would you go out on an important shoot with an untried, untested piece of kit? No, you wouldn't, so don't think that unwrapping a new tape gets you off the hook. If you're buying 70 metres of tape for $3 then every now and then there's going to be a duff one come off the production line and get past the inspectors. It's the law of the land.

If you shoot and dump to the timeline you'll have proof positive that that tape is 'perfect', devoid of dropout and damage. Don't feel in any way obliged to discard it simply because you've found this out.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 02:15 PM   #7
New Boot

hmm... seems like there are arguments for both. i just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some definite image quality loss when you reuse a tape.

i'll try it and see...
Rohit Colin Rao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders