GL2 Eating Tapes and "Remove Casette" Message at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 29th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 Eating Tapes and "Remove Casette" Message

Can't believe this, I've never had one problem with this camera and now it hits me when a project is due (Murphy's Law). I'm trying to fast forward/rewind my tapes, and once it kicks into 2nd gear (the gears start really spinning to move the tape faster) the time code drops off, then the camera shows "Remove The Casette". I open the door, and the gear in the middle top, the white one, spins for 15 seconds, then my tape comes up. It just ate one of my tapes as well when fast forwarding. I opened the door and the tape was everywhere. Keep in mind i've shot 5 full tapes on this cam, thats all and only captured maybe 3 hours on it since I bought it from Zotz Digital. Anyone had this problem, and is it still under warranty?????

Michael Botkin
Screwed
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

zotz service

I've not see or heard of this problem....about all you can do is try running a cleaning tape through but it doesn't sound related to clean tape, but you never know and it won't hurt to do so...but if that doesn't work, then luckily for you, you bought it from zotz. they are sponsors here and since they seem to generally run about 250 more than where I bought my gl2, I hope in a day or two you'll be able to tell us that you got them to ship you a new one, no questions asked. I would ask them to charge your card and send a new one immediately, with the understanding that you are insuring and shipping this camera back with all the goodies immediately and they will credit your card as soon as your current GL2 gets to them. That's what you ought to get for your $250. Let us know what happened. I'm in the market (right now) so I'm curious how this turns out for you.. :) Note that we've been asked to refrain from plugging other web sites so I respectfully am refraining from referencing where I purchased my camera.
Old July 1st, 2003, 06:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've had this type of problem on a Sony camera. I was switching between brands of tape and I was informed that you shouldn't do that because of the different types of lubrication on the tape can cause the head and rolls to gum up.

Once I removed the tape, I ran a Sony head cleaner through it several times and since then I have stuck with using only Sony tapes in that camera.

Haven't had the problem since.

Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #4
Tourist

I received my GL2 from zotz.com about 3 weeks ago and took it on a 2 week trip. I was trying to rewind tapes today and got the same error message (fortunately no tapes were eaten!). I tried several tapes and same problem...but they would rewind without a hitch in an XL1s, so I gave Canon Service a call and they suggested having it sent back for service...so it's on it's way there now. I'll update when it comes back...
Alan Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders