Seen on the COW Canon site . . . New Canon?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 3rd, 2003, 10:40 AM   #1
Old Boot

Seen on the COW Canon site . . . New Canon??

"I'm also interested in buying the GL2 (XM2 here in Oz), but have delayed buying it for the moment, as a source at Canon, has mentioned that a new model being released here towards the end of July. Please note I cannot get any official confirmation of this "second hand news". "

Anybody gotta a view on this morsel???

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 11:15 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Do you have the direct link for this "cow" thread?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:07 PM   #3
Old Boot

COW SITE: Link- ish

Try this Frank:

http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=59

Title:

Re: XL1s vs GL2 by Stefan

Grazie
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:14 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Thanks! I'll go take a look.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:18 PM   #5
Outer Circle

I though I'd find a little more there than with what you posted. Oh well. Perhaps Chris Hurd has some inside info.
Old July 4th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #6
Tourist

perhaps a new HDV camera?

There was an official announcement yesterday in Japan from the four companies (Canon, Sony, Sharp and JVC) that have agreed on the new HDV spec. This spec defines the new standard for using DV cassette tapes to record HD (Digital High Defintion) video at 720p (progressive) and 1080i (interlaced) formats. Currently only JVC has released a product, the GR-HD1.

My guess is if Canon releases anything soon, it might be a new HDV camera.
Sho Hirofumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

<< Perhaps Chris Hurd has some inside info. >>

I'm always the last to know, sorry.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 11:12 PM   #8
Old Boot

Thanks Sho! - Excellent news. Doubt if I've got the money to go HD - yet! But it does show Canon is no slouch, regarding keeping their R&D up to speed. This in itself must good for all us miniDV-ers. Maybe some "trickle-down" in the future. Or does it mean the death of it . . . . .

Chris - Don't take it personally. Just remember that classic, "I HURD it on the grapevine!" - Sorry matey, couldn't resist it . . ;-)

Much respect,

Grazie
Old July 5th, 2003, 05:06 AM   #9

right now, one can count on spending more on a way to show true HD than they can on a way to capture HD. most consumers are unaware that HDTV's currently available aren't true HD. This whole technology has a ways to go before it's viable for home users
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #10
Trustee

"most consumers are unaware that HDTV's currently available aren't true HD."

Excuse me? You mean when I watched the NBA finals in High Definition last month with a Samsung SIR-T151 receiver, I wasn't watching true HD?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #11

ahhh...exactly my point. first you had to have an HDTC capable monitor, right? then you bought a decoder, right? now, I ask you, besides an input broadcast HDTV signal, how will you get HD output from your HD cam or computer file into your "HDTV" ready monitor. I don't beleive that Samsung has an input port. I'm not saying it can't be done, i'm just saying you'd better be prepared to spend a LOT of $$$ to expereince the full quality available from HDTV. I haven't read the specs on that samsung, but, for the money, it's probably not more than 780p. true HD is 1080p.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 06:15 PM   #12
Trustee

No, no receiver that I know of has an input for HDTV other than a broadcast from over the air or satellite or cable.

Hm, I just thought of a very very good idea - a computer card that'll take your HD video made on your computer and output it with DVI or component video. That can't be that hard or expensive to make. In fact I bet something like that exists already.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #13
Tourist

New HDTV format is Mpeg-2 format

I read that the new hd cameras are using a Mpeg-2 encoding at 18mbits to encode the HD signal. It has specs for a 780i/780p/1080i mode. I imagine that dvd or blue ray players will be the prefered delivery choice for this new format, though you will only get about 30 minutes on the current dvd-r discs until blue ray takes off. You would need a Component or DVI output to get the HD signal into a monitor from your computer. I am sure cards are available to output that already.
Aaron Holder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders