what to do on windy days? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 15th, 2003, 10:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

what to do on windy days?

11 sept. I bought my Canon xm-2.

And so far I am very satisfied with the picture quality!

But the first day I use my new camera it was a quite windy day, and though I set the microfone in "w.screen" it was a very disturbing result, not good at all.

So what to do on windy days?

-----------------

I also consider to buy the DM-50 microfone, but can that microfone handle the problem with windy days better?
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #2
Old Boot

I gave up on the XM2 audio presets and went for a Senni setup with a foam cover PLUS a windjammer-type fluffy. I use this in conjunction with the MA-300.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Torsten

I bought an inexpensive ($5.99) foam windscreen from Radio Shack (probably don't have a branch near you) and installed it over the GL2 onboard mic by using a tie wrap. I rarely use the onboard mic but it did help reduce wind noise significanlty. I can send a pic if you're interested.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

MikeMuff

Last week I ordered a MikeMuff since I was also disturbed by the ppor sound quality on my XM2. A few days ago I received it. But...minor point...no wind the last few days so I could not test it lol. Hope tomorrow will be a little windy so I can update you my results.
It looks nice on my cam..it fits like a glove. And if it does what they promise on their site, I am very happy.
Joris Beverloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #5
Wrangler

Why not use a fan to test the MikeMuff?
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #6
Major Player

I went with a Rycote mini-windjammer. They make one that fits the GL2, but sent me a size medium instead (it seems to be a little bigger than the one indicated for the GL2 because it fit very sloppy). That actually turned out for the better because I realized that it fit perfectly over one of those Radio Shack foam windscreens, and then onto the GL2 mic. Today is a fairly windy day, blowing at a steady 20mph, so I just tested it and that combination seemed to work well. All I could hear was street noise and the russling of leaves in the trees.
This is a very simple, low budget (about $50) solution, but it works well for what I need.

nicholi
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I second the vote for the Rycote mini-Windjammer. I just used mine this week to shoot a very short piece in a very windy setting. Although I'll not be using the audio from the footage I was really surprised at how good this fuzzy little mouse worked.

Rycote's larger muffs work extremely well for shotgun mics, btw.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #8
Major Player

On an added note, using the Rycote over the GL2 mic makes the camcorder look a lot more presentable. Its strange that its just that little piece, but I noticed right away, as well as others who have commented.
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders