What do I need (with ME66) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 16th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do I need (with ME66)

Hi,

I have my XM2 for about one year, but I would like to have much better sound. Many people on this forum adviced to buy the Sennheiser Me-66 microphone.

I would like to know what accessoires I have to buy before I can use this ME-66 Microphone on my camcorder. (I need something to attach the microphone on my camcorder and maybe some converters..)

Gabriel
Gabriel_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:15 AM   #2
Wrangler

Be sure to get the K6 power module (uses a battery to power the mic). An XLR adapter such as the MA-300, or perhaps a Beachtek/Signvideo/Studio 1 XLR adapter will work too.

Note that the Me-66 is a monophonic. mic.

Also, note that it may or may not be the best mic for you depending on what you are recording.
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:34 AM   #3
Old Boot

Don is correct. Work out what you intend to do with your video work.

Events - Weddings, Music, Festivals

Documentaries - Animal owners, hobbies of all sorts, community action work . . . .

Holidays - Trips you take with your family

Family Events - OTHER weddings, not for pro paid work, parties, etc etc

. . . and so on and so on . . . .

You can always, well mostly "upgrade" to better kit as you think fit.

Buying the Senni is only yhe start of it. You need to cough up for a K6 power module, plus some type of audio XLR adaptor, cables, windjammers AND maybe another mic for the other channel - you wont get ambient sound from the excellent ME-66. So, think long and hard.

I kinda knew I would be doing interviews in noisy places - I went the "Route 66" way! - This has meant me spending quite a bit of cash on the above. NOW, not being satisfied with the 66, I've just purchased the Senni Wireles mic kit. Excellent as it is, it is expensive. I can now 66 close up stuff and have my "subject" wear a mic and wander off shot and STILL get amazing audio. So, lots to think about and consider.

Start off by working out what you think you might be doing in the next 2 months, 12 months or even 2 years!

Hope this helps too .. .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would like to use the microphone for every day use.
So one day I would like to use the microphone in a forrest, to capture the nice sound of the birds and animals, and another day I would like to record some small music events, or standing in the field trying to get a nice record of a landing plane.

I found the internal mic to record high tones, but not low tones, and also you hear a lot of hiss.

Is the ME 66 a good microphone for everyday use, or should I look at something else

Gabriel
Old September 16th, 2003, 05:00 AM   #5
Old Boot

Don - over to you . ..

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Gabriel,

I've never used a better all-purpose shotgun mic! You can take advantage of the mono signal by inputting the mic into a beachtek adaptor and setting the manual controls on the camera to different levels. I have found that by bringing in audio at different levels that I can generally get a very good audio track.

As far as your question about low frequency signals, the ME66 specifies a signal response down to 40 Hz. I believe this is true. You will often get way more bass than you need, but you can always edit.

The only concern I have experienced with this mic is something others have reported on the forum. The microphone is not the best with loud noises. It is prone to serious distortion when recording high volume audio.

With that noted, this mic is definitely worth the money. I bought two!

Brad
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

In response to the accessories question, I would add to the list a shock mount. This mic is very sensitive, and you will need to isolate it from the camera and your touch as much as possible.
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #8
Major Player

Just want to confirm a previous message about the ME66/K6 distortion issue. Although this mic is directional, it is also good for ambient sounds. I often use both the ME66 and wireless channel audio together in post to capture subject and ambient sounds. However, be aware that the K6 will produce uncorrectable distortion at loud events. We learned this the hard way at a live band wedding. Solution...have the K6 modified by Senn. They know about the problem and will fix it under warranty. Or as others have recommended, get an in-line attenuator to control the gain. Hope that helps.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Bob,

Does the modification reduce the sensitivity?

Brad
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Brad,

Yes, it does reduce sensitivity but I don't know by what dB. But, we are now recording much cleaner live music. Actually, I use two K6s...one for ceremonies and the red dot for receptions.

Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Total Price

Ok, I have searched some websites, to get some idears of all the accessoires I need for using this microphone

If I am not mistaking I need the folowing

- A ME 66 Sennheiser Microphone $160,-
- A K6 powering module $180,-
- A SENNHEISER MZQ-6 MOUNT $35
- A Beachtek DXA-4P $170
---------
$545

I was hoping to get a good microphone for $200-$300, so this is a bit more money.

Is anyone able to post some pictures of the XM2 with this beachtek and microphone?

Also, is anyone able to do make some test recordings with the internal Microphone and the ME-66? (I hope it will impress me)

Gabriel
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #12
Wrangler

For reasonable mcs at lower prices - check the AT line; e.g., AT815 and AT-835. Nto as nice as the Senn, but lower price as well.

Shotguns are often not the best choice for live music, cardoid often work better, ahe better frequency rsponse.

A plus to the Senn option with the K6 is that Senn offers additional mic elements for it, to give somewhat different pickup characteristics.

Enjoy the market research.
Old September 17th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Gabriel,

I want to reiterate the need for a shock mount with this mic. The mic mount you have on your wish list (which I made the mistake of ordering some time ago) will cause a great deal of camera and handling noise to enter your audio track. Try the Beyer Dynamic EA-86.

Brad
Old September 18th, 2003, 02:43 AM   #14
Regular Crew

The big problem

Hi,

There are some small problems,

1. It's almost impossible to test or buy these microphones in a store in The Netherlands. It maybe sound strange, but I bought the XM2 without having demonstration. There are many people who want this cam, and if you do not want to buy it, some one else will. I went to many shops, but no one willing to demonstrate any more. Same thing with microphones. Buy it and never come back to claim any warranty.

So maybe someone can put some videofiles online so I can hear and see the difference in microphones.

2. I don't know much about microphones.
I have no idear what to buy, what sort of microphone is good for me. That's the biggest problem, I don't know what I need.

I hope someone can help me

Gabriel
Old September 18th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #15
Tourist

Hi Gabriel,

I use the K6/ME66 combination for recording wildlife only, so I can't comment on its effectiveness for other events. It's supposed to be the best mic for wildlife recording in its price range but I don't think it could be described as an all round mic.

I have used it with the XM1 and, since April this year, the XL1s. There are lots of examples of the sound quality on my web site on the movies page which you are welcome to check out(apologies for the self advertisement). Be sure to follow the download instructions at the top of the page.

http://www.scottish-birds.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Movies.html

(copy and paste into your browser's address line)

John.
John Mason is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders