transferring card images via firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

transferring card images via firewire

hi,
i understand that it is not possible to transfer still images from memory cards to your computer over firewire. i think it is a little silly to require me to use two different cables to do this - i wonder what the technical problem is? i had a panasonic dv601k that behaved the same way.

anyway, i was playing around trying to do this a while ago, and with the camera in card mode i was able to see the first image on the card using windows xp (just by going to my computer and clicking on the camera).

i was wondering if anybody else tried to do anything like this and what your experiences were.

thanks!
harry
Harry Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

To answer your question, you can't transfer files from the memory card to the computer through Firewire, you are supposed to be able to do it when you use the USB cable, but I know that I, and many others have had lots of problems doing this. The easy solution is to spend $20 and get one of those card readers that plugs into your USB port. Then you just take the card out of your camera and put it in the card reader and then you can get the files off of it that way.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:05 AM   #3
New Boot

You can tranfer pictures with Firewire on a Mac. With iPhoto no problem. Works like a charm.
Erwin van Doorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #4
Warden

Erwin, are you saying that you have transferred images via FireWire from the GL2?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

it is true that you can do it on the MAC, just not on the PC side.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

yeah, usb works fine for me on windows for card transfers. i was just curious because it was so close to working via firewire. the usb reader is a good idea, but i used to be a bit of a computer geek and i guess i still have a little bit of the urge to get everything working as perfectly as i can heheh.
Harry Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #7
Warden

I don't think the camera is set up to transfer the cards via FireWire. I may be wrong, but this would be the first I've heard of this.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:44 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ditto here. I'm 99.99% certain that the GL2's card is only able to mount via USB.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders