What are the uses of the rec search minus/plus button? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:14 PM   #1
Major Player

What are the uses of the rec search minus/plus button?

Are there any advantages in using this i.e. less head ware? Normally, I would just stop and record over something..... but usually I wouldn't record over anything that has already been recorded. I like to maximize tape efficiency and usage. But then again, is the rec search m/p button faster?
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The only time when I use it is when I put in a tape that already has some recording on the start of the tape, then i use the buttons to rewind a second or so before the recording ends so I can start filming again without getting a broken Time Code.
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Broken timecode? What do you mean? What is a timecode?
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:59 PM   #4
Trustee

David,

timecode is the counter you see in the corner of your viewfinder. It counts in hours:minutes:seconds:frames. It is used during editing to locate shots. miniDV doesn't use a true SMPTE timecode, DVCAM does but not miniDV. What this means is that when you hit record the timecode starts, when you hit it again it stops, but if you take out the tape and then puut it back in the timecode will reset. During shooting the timecode can also be broken between shots as the camera doesn't really pay attention to it. This is one use of the record search buttons, it allows you to back up to a point on your tape with continous timecode without haveing to go to VCR mode, which will also reset the time code.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

And then if you have broken time code on your tape (ie several instances of the same timecode) and you do a batch capture with your computer it may capture the wrong area of the tape or suddenly quit capturing your footage with a Warning: capture aborted due to broken Time Code, you must recapture your footage.
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:34 AM   #6
Old Boot

One method to ensure consistent T/C is to put the lens cap on, turn down any sound input, let the camera "record" from beginning of tape to end. This will "lay" down t/c from beginning to end of tape. Now, when you record for proper, you will have t/c in place PLUS the t/c of your filming will record over this "blacked" t/c. This will ensure, should you do anything to give a broken t/c - remove miniDV tape and/or review backwards and forwards - your t/c will be consistent throughout . .

There are drawbacks .. . biggest of which you are adding "head-usage" time and as a result reducing, to some extent, the life expectancy of your heads - yeah? Me, I really don't bother to black .. I just go ahead and shoot. Try not to review. If I do, I use the method explained above.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #7
New Boot

I use rec search to review test recordings to double check how my footage is going to turn out. It's great to review the last take you've shot aswell, you can quickly check out the shot and then re-shoot the take again right away if your not happy with you see in the rec search preview. I shoot proffessional skateboarding and after the rider has landed a trick we will both review the take to see if both the camera op and the subject are both happy with how the trick looks before moving on to a new trick or location. Although I try not to review footage sometimes I give into the nagging.
Rob Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Wow... dang, this thread really came back from the dead hehe....
Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:32 AM   #9
Old Boot

Biiiiigggg Rewind <<<<<<<<<< . . . use the joke USE the ekoj << >> :)

.. . coo that tape must be like a SONY miniDV 6,000,000,000

Grazie!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders